Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Oil Leak JD Z245 B&S 44L777-0144-G1

NJ

12-03-12, 11:46 AM   #1  
Oil Leak JD Z245 B&S 44L777-0144-G1

I have a John Deere Z245 zero turn mower in the shop. It has a B&S 44L777-0144-G1 twin cylinder engine. It has an oil leak. Oil is running down the back of the engine of cylinder #2 just passed the regulator module. If I look with a flashlight from the front of cylinder #2 and under the flywheel, I can see some oil laying in a puddle in between the farthest back cylinder fins (actually ribs). I'm thinking it could be one of three things 1) upper crank seal 2) bad breather gasket 3) blown head gasket on cylinder #2. I would appreciate any and all help on this one. I have not yet removed the flywheel as I need to purchase a 1 1/4" deep impact socket. Also there is a lot of tin that needs to be removed in order to have access to the cylinder head. thanks in advance.

Last edited by jl66redcpe; 12-03-12 at 02:19 PM.

Sponsored Links

NJ

12-03-12, 02:19 PM   #2  
I removed the flywheel and there seems to be a clear path originating from the top cranks seal and down the back of the engine. Also there seems to be another clear path from the top seal going forward to where the oil is puddling in the ribs. The rest of the top of the engine is kind of cruddy making these clear paths visible.

NJ

12-04-12, 09:07 AM   #3  
Well, I did a compression test this morning. Cyl #2 showed 130 psi Cyl #1 showed 132 psi. My thinking is that the head gaskets are probably ok. The spark plugs looked like they were brand new. I also removed the breather hose and it was clear. I next removed the breather assy. The valve was not stuck open/closed and it looked ok although the oil retainer seemed to be plugged at the bottom. I was surprised to find no gasket between the breather and the block ???? I am going to replace the breather and oil retainer and see what happens. If anyone can comment on this, I would really appreciate it.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-04-12, 03:33 PM   #4  
Oh, I thought you had it figured out when you found the leaking seal. Is there a reason you suspect the seal is not the problem even though it's leaking? Is there side play in the crankshaft at the top end?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NJ

12-05-12, 04:33 AM   #5  
Cheese - thank you for the response. The seal actually looks ok to me but oil is definitely leaking past the seal. There is no side play in the crankshaft. This engine only has 168 hours on it. To my way of thinking, something has got to be causing the oil to go past the seal. I am thinking internal pressure - but from where ?? The engine was very dirty on the outside and there was a ton of dirt under the flywheel where the magnets are and also in the fins of the block and cylinder head. I was thinking maybe the dirt caused the engine to overheat and the heat forced the oil up. I am going to clean the engine today using my air compressor and water nozzle. I was also thinking that if the valves are out of adjustment and the exhaust valve doesnt open enough or stay open long enough the exhaust heat will go right back into the engine and cause it to overheat. Do you think I am overthinking this too much and I should just change the darn seal ????

NJ

12-15-12, 03:43 AM   #6  
Well, it looks like it was the seal after all. I washed the engine and changed out the oil seal. I installed a new breather assy including a gasket, hose and oil collector. Next I pulled the valve cover off cyl #2 and checked the valve clearance. It was spot on at .005 I&E. I didnt even bother to check cyl #1. I put it all back together and tested it. I ran it and cut grass for 20 minutes or so. I did not see any oil leaks -- yaaaay !! I also changed the oil, oil filter and air filter getting it ready for the spring. I will grease the deck if there are any zerks and get it back to the owner.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-15-12, 08:12 AM   #7  
Glad you got it fixed!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread