Generac 10000EXL 9801-1 Generator Putting out 170V over 110V line

Old 12-05-12, 02:46 AM
Generac 10000EXL 9801-1 Generator Putting out 170V over 110V line

I have a Generac 10000EXL 350445 93571 - 9801-1 V-Twin B&S 19hp V-Twin genset and it is putting out 170v @ 60hz instead of 110v. The Code or Serial# is 97071111 (07-11-1997).

I have located the AVR or PRB (which ever you call it) board and it has no trim-pots, One visible power transistor, 7 wires two of which are black and coming out of the cemented board. Visually the PRB appears in good condition (no burnt resistors, corrosion, or broken transistors). The Power Regulator Board's part number is 92769GS which is almost the same as 84132GS except for the mounts (note: 84132GS is 30% cheaper). The genset runs well and ides up when a load is applied, then back down when the load is removed, but the output voltage is 170V. I assume it is a bad Power regulator and would like to test the current unit to assure that I will not be replacing good parts.

What is the quickest way to fault test a AVR/PRB out of the circuit? Are these AVR/PRB's prone to failure? I think the 92769GS Power Regulator is max rated at 10KW but the Generator is Spike rated at over 13KW.

Last note: I bought the unit used and have just started inspecting it. From what I have been told no major mods have been done to it recently and it was converted to run on LPG before the year 2000. The previous owner changed the oil and ran the unit regularly. I did notice that the PRB has a date code of 2003 on it. So, I assume the PRB was changed since the unit was built in 1997.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-12, 05:05 PM
NJT
I just happened on your question and may not be back to follow... don't usually frequent this forum, but I have to ask;

What do you measure on the 240VAC line?

What do you measure from each of the 240 HOT legs back to neutral?

What make/model meter are you using? If you measure the normal utility power, does it read correctly? (maybe a meter problem?)

Old 12-06-12, 09:26 PM
Update: to answer your question, as to which DVM (digital volt meter) I am using; NJ Trooper ...
I am using a Fluke 289. I know my reading are correct. And after unbolting the PRB from its housing and re-testing my voltage, I am now getting 130V @ 60hz on both phases. I guess the PRB had a loose connecting. Just to make sure I disconnected all 3 of the boards wire sets and placed Silicon Lub (like no-ox oil) on the connections.

• Power Regulator Board (AVR)

• Brushes

• 92769GS PRB - dated 2003

• Generac 10000EXL 10KW 1997 19HP V-TWIN 9801-1

Correction Note: The 84132GS Power Regulator Assembly is rated for 4KW-7.5KW and not suitable for use on the Genearac 09801-1(350445) 10KW V-Twin 19HP genset. The 92769GS Power Regulator Assembly is rated for 10kW and designed for the above EXL Generator.

Old 12-08-12, 11:54 AM
NJT
Without actually KNOWING what caused the problem in the first place, I would be very nervous about using the generator.

The simple fact of taking apart and reassembling and now it works... I dunno... I would never know when it might happen again, and blow up something hooked to it.

Old 12-09-12, 12:41 AM
You are correct. Since it is an older generator it has no usage meter or readouts of any sort. I will be installing a single LED DVM rated to 600V to assure the voltage is within 110v-130v. I have not put the PRB(power regulator board sometimes called AVR) back in its housing yet. I am trying to see if it was making contact with the outer most brush or any of the housing and causing the 170v problem. I might relocate the PRB. The Gernerac 10000EXL is very solid. It is in the Portable class but at over 300lbs I would hardly call it portable. I know there is a wheel & Handle kit but it seems to me that that would only add to the weight. The factory muffler is excessively loud (photo above).

I have tested it 3 times now under different loads and it is working very well with the PBR hanging out.

My phase two is to switch the unit from LP to NG and retest for output and reliability(starts, load sounds... etc.).

I haven't even started on the outdoor transfer switch box, the upgraded muffler, or the outdoor sound proof housing. BUT, this 10KW workhorse is a solid strong unit to build on. It should more then suit my needs.

I called Generac and they said that due to the units age I would have to refer to an authorized dealer. I called two in my area and they both were very accommodating, but stated that they did not work on portable unit.

Old 12-09-12, 08:05 AM
NJT
I called Generac and they said that due to the units age I would have to refer to an authorized dealer. I called two in my area and they both were very accommodating, but stated that they did not work on portable unit.
I myself have not been very happy with Generac's responses to any inquiry that I have made of late. Their customer service attitude I personally find appalling. Their closest so-called 'authorized service center' to me is a LANDSCAPING SERVICE! Seems like any schmoe who ever replaced a spark plug in a small engine simply has to contact Generac and BAM! they're an authorized service center.

I've had half a mind (well, at least my wife agrees with that part!) to attempt to become an authorized center for them myself, just to see what qualifications they do actually check.

At least the EXL series is, I believe, still Made In USA...

In the future, for me, I don't see anything but a B&S engine on any of my equipment.

Old 12-09-12, 08:25 AM
Group Moderator
MAXTROOPER

Autrhorized Generac servicenter.

Old 12-09-12, 01:29 PM
NJT
Yeah buddy... sounds good! Might use that even!

Old 12-09-12, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
In the future, for me, I don't see anything but a B&S engine on any of my equipment.
Same here...Never had anything else.....

Well when I was a wee lad we used the old Tecumseh's that no one wanted for our mini bikes.....

Mine did 50 mph....

( Sorry not to get off subject)

Old 12-09-12, 10:43 PM
To me "OLD" just means "Well Tested". I'll take one of these 15+ old gensets over the Cheap-O units that are sold now. Heck! 15 years ago a 10,000 watt generator cost well over $2500 and was made with pride and sold with confidence.

Old 12-10-12, 02:18 PM
NJT
Agree with that!

I've got one genset that I still use regularly, it's about 40 y.o, a 'Dayton', mfg by Winco, 120 V only, with a 5 hp B&S and except for a carb kit every ten years or so, it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

I hope that the new "Chinerac GP5500" that I was 'forced of necessity' to purchase during Sandy holds up half as long, but I do have my doubts... and when it does break down I suspect there won't be a parts distribution channel for me to obtain what I need.