Fortunate I got it running, but not quite right

Old 12-09-12, 11:50 AM
Fortunate I got it running, but not quite right

We just got pounded by around 8 inches of snow and it hasn't finished yet. I have a Tecumseh HM80 Lawn Boy. Luckily I got the snow blower running, however it still doesn't seem real happy at higher throttles. It just isn't running super steady at higher RPMS, at first I thought it was maybe searching, however if I turned the choke on, it would act like it was going to die. Weirdly, and because of this I know something isn't right, the high speed screw on the bottom of the bowl is finger tight instead of the 1.5 turns out. Any ideas, any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-12, 06:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You definitely have a carb issue. Does gas drip out of it when it's not running? Sounds like you may have a bad float, causing it to flood or it may need cleaning and rebuilding.

Old 12-09-12, 07:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not much of a small engine repair guy... but I have three possible causes:

1) Dirty air filter. Replace (or clean) filter
2) Dirty carb. Have you left gas in the blower? Carb cleaner works great!
3) Old gas

Old 12-10-12, 05:39 AM
Weirdly, and because of this I know something isn't right, the high speed screw on the bottom of the bowl is finger tight instead of the 1.5 turns out. Any ideas, any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Concerned about this bit at the end of the OP. Sounds like it's starving for air.
How long has it been since it was last used?

Old 12-11-12, 06:45 PM
Yes I agree

It does sound like it's starving for air, but what does that mean exactly lol. I've checked the float by shaking it and it always sounds like it's dry inside at least.

I tried to use the blower a couple of times last year but didn't have much luck... so in that sense I've at least got it running somewhat this year.

As for an air filter, I don't believe I have one, but maybe i'm wrong!

Could this be a welch plug problem or what are behind the welch plugs?

Thanks everyone

Old 12-11-12, 07:33 PM
The bowl nut(main jet) is dirty, clean all the holes, the tiny one near the top is usually the problem, I clean it wit the wire from a twist tie. check the pic below for reference. Then the 1 1/2 out on the mixture screw might work. Have a good one. Geo [ATTACH=CONFIG]6558[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 12-14-12, 07:06 PM
Checked both holes

I checked and recleaned both holes on the bowlnut and still no luck. any other ideas?

What are reasons that it woudl be starving for air?

Search this Thread