Yard Machines MTD snowblower wont move. Help

Old 12-27-12, 07:47 AM
Yard Machines MTD snowblower wont move. Help

Model Number 31A-611D062

After finally getting the snowblower started, I found that it would not move.. I took the belly cover off and I could see the friction wheel spinning. The larger sprocket also spins but very slowly. The wheels do not move even when lifted off the ground. Last year the snowblower moved just fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-12, 08:16 AM
The MTD

With the machine still up, spin the wheels by hand, and see whrer the movement stops in the drivetrain, you should see something.wrong.
Sid

Old 12-27-12, 01:31 PM

sidny,

I tried that with the snowblower off and the wheels spin freely, even with both levers pulled down... What do you think it could be?

Old 12-27-12, 01:59 PM
The MTD

Look carefully at all the sprockets and shafts that they are on and usually when a sprocket turns, the shaft that it is on should turn also, and vise versa. There is likely that some pin, or key that is broken.
Sid

Old 12-27-12, 02:18 PM
Sidny,

I looked at it again. when i spin the large sprocket by hand, the drive shaft spins too. the axle spins freely in the large sprocket though. So what is supposed to be holding the sprocket to the axle?

I appreciate your help

Old 12-28-12, 07:10 AM
Mtd

There should be ethier a hollow pin called a tension pin or a roll pin or a key ethier a woodruf [ half moon] key or a square key. The pin is more likely to fail than ethier key would. Look at the sprocket and see if there is a hole in the body of it, if so the hollow pin probably broke. If thats the case you have to drive the old parts of the broken pin out. It is possible to line up the hole in the pully and shaft by using a wire that will go through all three pieces, then driving it out with a punch or a bolt a little smaller than the pin. The other way, of course is to take it apart and drive the parts of the broken pin seperately. You replace the pin with a nut and bolt the same size. Use a lock washeror a locking nut.
Sid

Old 12-29-12, 11:10 AM
So I took the sprocket off the axle and i see the 'half moon' gap in the axle however there is no half moon key there.. So I guess I have to buy a woodruf key. I will post an update once I get that taken care of.

Thanks again for the guidance

Old 12-29-12, 10:29 PM
Problem solved. Woodruf key found

It turns out the woodruf came out somehow but I found it. I put it back together and it works great. I still have to mess with the idle but now it moves and clears snow.

Old 01-10-13, 04:36 PM
Mil

Having great trouble finding out how to place that woodruf key into the drive gear section on my yardman. Can you please help with details on how to?

Old 01-11-13, 06:56 AM
The key

If you have the sprocket in your hand, you can try the key in each part seperately, it should fit into each part fairly easily. Make shure that the key is the right thickness. If not you can go to any good hdw store, as most will have a "key" assortment. Anyway, if the key is too tight, burrs etc, you can touch it up with a file. You can tap into the slot carefully, and slide the sprocket back over the key on to its place on the shaft, and tighten the set screw, or whatever keeps the sprocket in place. Perhaps a snap ring or two. Are there grooves on that shaft on ethier side of the keyway? Because the only way the key comes out is if the sprocket moves on the shaft.
Sid