Power Smart Snow Blower auger hitting impeller

Old 12-29-12, 03:02 PM
Power Smart Snow Blower auger hitting impeller

Hello everyone. Just got a brand new Power Smart DB7659 snow blower for christmas. Worked like a charm for the first and most of the second snowfalls, completely problem free until I hit a stick and everything jammed up. Immediately after that happened, I cleaned out the whole assembly, nothing seemed to be wrong - but when I next engaged the Auger, I heard "tick tick tick." I checked out the auger assembly, no shear pins broken, axles don't appear bent. When I turned the impeller by hand, the auger spun as it should, but one of the auger blades was hitting one of the impeller blades once in the rotation cycle. Not sure what happened, as I can't seem to detect any bent blades or damage of any kind, except for mildly chewed up steel where the auger and impeller blades are hitting. I thought maybe the impeller was jarred toward the auger when the stick got jammed in there, but I can't move it up and down on the axle even with a lot of force - it seems tight on there.
Any advice would be appreciated, as I can't seem to find anyone who has had this problem. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-12, 12:41 PM
The Power Smart

Something has had to have moved. Set up some kind of reference point. A stick or a ruler clamped to rhe housing, then rotate the impeller by hand to see which blade is out of wack, probably the one that has been hitting the auger. You should be able to push the bent one back with a good size hammer, and a short piece of 2x4 just enough to get you through the winter, then you can work on it in the warm weather,or have it repaired at a shop. My blower hit a car tire chain once and a sunday NY Times in Brooklyn and my auger wobbled slightly for 30 years, until I finally fixed it, after 2 or 3 tries. Now it runs true going into it's 47 th season. Good luck.
Sid