Tecumseh Vector vlv55-501004 Kick Back

Old 01-07-13, 04:50 AM
Tecumseh Vector vlv55-501004 Kick Back

This tecumseh is kicking back when you try and start it. I removed flywheel and have checked the flywheel key (611154) and it looks ok. I tried a new blade with no luck. Crankshaft does not appear to be bent. I removed the head and valves appear to be working ok. I have a new flywheel key on order just in case. These vector engines are a real pain to remove the blower housings etc. I guess it is possible it could have jumped a tooth however I have never had one do that. I can check where the flywheel magnet is at TDC however like I said it is such a PIA to remove the tins. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-13, 10:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check the blade adapter and see if the key made in it is sheared.

Old 01-07-13, 01:42 PM
Thank you cheese - will do in the morning

Old 01-08-13, 12:26 PM
Cheese - removed the blade and blade adapter. The adapter was fine. Do you have any additional suggestions to try. The new flywheel key is due in on Thursday.

Old 01-08-13, 03:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's about all I've got. Let us know where the key key gets you.

Old 01-13-13, 10:57 AM
Cheese - sorry this took a little while, I had a John Deere tractor I had to finish first. I installed the new key and also cleaned the top of piston, both valves and the head with a wire brush. I finished putting it back together this morning. The engine started on the second or third pull. The old key had a slight groove on each of the sides. I thought that was the way it was made. I guess it was really partially sheared. I have it running outside now and will let it run for about 20 minutes than I will try and start it again. Looks like this one is closed. As always, thanks for your help.

Old 01-13-13, 11:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yep, even a slightly sheared key (I call it "pushed" when the key looks like that) will do it. Glad you got it!