Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

techumseh engine on snowthrower dies

PA

01-16-13, 06:04 PM   #1  
techumseh engine on snowthrower dies

I have a Sears snow thrower with a techumseh engine. It starts up and revs high and runs fine for about 15-20 min and then the engine seems to bog down under a load. Then it begins to slow down and sounds as if it's out of gas, if I stop it sometimes will rev back up but still ends up just slows down again and stops. After it sits for a few min it will start up again, but within a few min it stalls out again. What's causing this? Fresh gas, gas stabilizer and new plug for every winter. It's about 4 years old.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-16-13, 06:40 PM   #2  
Try loosening the gas cap next time it begins dying and see if it picks back up and runs well again. If so, your gas cap vent is clogged.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

01-17-13, 03:24 PM   #3  
Thanks, I'll give it a try next time. Would that also cause the bogging down under a load after time?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-17-13, 03:41 PM   #4  
After time, yes. It would cause the fuel level in the carb to gradually get lower and lower, causing a leaner and leaner running condition until it just can't run anymore.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

01-17-13, 05:10 PM   #5  
I'll def give it a try the next time we have enough snow to use it. Thanks again.

Search this Thread