techumseh engine on snowthrower dies

Old 01-16-13, 06:04 PM
techumseh engine on snowthrower dies

I have a Sears snow thrower with a techumseh engine. It starts up and revs high and runs fine for about 15-20 min and then the engine seems to bog down under a load. Then it begins to slow down and sounds as if it's out of gas, if I stop it sometimes will rev back up but still ends up just slows down again and stops. After it sits for a few min it will start up again, but within a few min it stalls out again. What's causing this? Fresh gas, gas stabilizer and new plug for every winter. It's about 4 years old.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-13, 06:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try loosening the gas cap next time it begins dying and see if it picks back up and runs well again. If so, your gas cap vent is clogged.

Old 01-17-13, 03:24 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a try next time. Would that also cause the bogging down under a load after time?

Old 01-17-13, 03:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
After time, yes. It would cause the fuel level in the carb to gradually get lower and lower, causing a leaner and leaner running condition until it just can't run anymore.

Old 01-17-13, 05:10 PM
I'll def give it a try the next time we have enough snow to use it. Thanks again.