MTD 21 Ton Wood Splitter Locked Up!

Old 01-22-13, 05:46 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
MTD 21 Ton Wood Splitter Locked Up!

Hey,
I got a MTD Yard Machines 21 ton splitter with 5HP Briggs. Yesterday I changed the hydro oil and filter. I went to start it and the rope pulled/motor turned totally normal and it coughed a little but never started. After about 50 pulls all of a sudden the pull rope locks up. It is in retract mode and I can get it to come out by pulling on it and retracting a little then more will come out. I pulled the plug to release any compression and that didn't change a thing besides me knowing why it didn't fire up. Nasty looking plug. I turned the coupler on the bottom and then I could turn motor some. I hit the lever in case there was pressure build up there. So, I know the motor isn't locked up or a knot in the rope, etc. Any ideas on what it might be? Pump locked up? It was pretty cold here yesterday as it never broke above freezing. Thanks.

Old 01-22-13, 08:38 AM
N
If this started after the hydro oil change I would think you need to look there. You didn't say what engine you have but I would remove the recoil unit and make sure it is OK. There could be some air in the pump so maybe check for a bleed procedure. It may help us if you give some details like engine model and if the pump is direct drive or belt. If its a belt drive take the belt off and see what happens.

Networker

Is it paranoia if they really are after you?

Old 01-25-13, 06:17 AM
R
Fixed it!

Thanks for the input. Took the housing off, then it pulled fine so I put it back on. Got one pull out of it then it locked up again. Next day did the same thing only I lightly tapped with a hammer around the area where the pull cord prongs latch on to and turned the fly wheel many times. It worked. Not a problem since. I think the clutch was locked up.

Old 01-25-13, 07:18 AM
N
Ratchet Cluch

If this engine has a ratchet clutch you need to oil it with something thin. There's a hole in the end of the clutch to oil through.

networker

Is it paranoia if they really are out to get you?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: