Sears GT6000 garden Tractor 917.255918 steering problem.

Old 02-08-13, 01:42 AM
Sears GT6000 garden Tractor 917.255918 steering problem.

I have the usual steering shaft and sector problem. I have ordered new bushings and tube, I need an explanation of how to remove steering shaft and sector for my model, I have read many posts, none of them address my model. Thanks in advance for your help.
JackCT

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-13, 06:22 AM
Go to this link and type in your model # and click on the steering section. You have to study the diagram because it is hard to see and or understand.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...t/index.action

Old 02-08-13, 06:39 AM
I have seen the diagram it is clear as mud, hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I know about the c clip on the steering shaft. And the top of the sector bolt is a nut. My sector's bolt seems to be welded at the bottom and I cant see the nut on top.
JackCT

Old 02-08-13, 10:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That one is different than most of the craftsman steering topics here. It has been a while since I did one of these, but I think you have to take the steering wheel off and slide the entire column shaft down out the bottom of the mower. Then, I think there is a clip holding the sector shaft in place and when you pop that off, it will drop out too. I'm trying to go by memory, and I might not be 100% accurate.