Toro snowblower 1128 OXE model 38650 drive and auger belt replacement

Old 02-09-13, 06:54 PM
Toro snowblower 1128 OXE model 38650 drive and auger belt replacement

Hello all
Hello Cheese

Toro snowblower 1128 OXE model 38650. New 10/05. 45 hours on the meter.

I was thinking of replacing both the drive and auger V-belts as maintenance. Do you just pull back the tension pulleys and slip the belts off/on? Any words of wisdom on how to do this?

Also does anyone know if there is a detailed 'repair manual' available for this unit? I did an online search for both the belt replacement procedure and repair manual and came up with zip on both.

Thanks all
Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-13, 05:11 PM
Hello all
Hello Cheese

Toro snowblower 1128 OXE model 38650. New 10/05. 45 hours on the meter.

I was thinking of replacing both the drive and auger V-belts as maintenance. Do you just pull back the tension pulleys and slip the belts off/on? Any words of wisdom on how to do this?

Also does anyone know if there is a detailed 'repair manual' available for this unit? I did an online search for both the belt replacement procedure and repair manual and came up with zip on both.

Thanks all
Paul
Anyone?

Do you guys that own repair shops know if Toro publishes a detailed repair manual for this model?

Thanks
Paul

Old 02-11-13, 04:50 AM
Every blower is different.
On most I've worked on, there is a spring loaded tensioner pully that you need to pry back. Some of the blowers I've worked on, there has even been a hole to stick a screw driver in to hold the pully back and out of the way.
Like I said, every blower setup is different, so take a minute and look over how it's setup before going at it. Also, if the belt looks to be in good shape (no chunks missing, not shinny), I'd leave it.

Old 02-11-13, 06:33 AM
Thanks Mike,
Ive removed the top belt cover to take a good look. Looks like Ill need to remove the belt guide that is bolted over the engine pullies to get either belt out. The auger/impeler belt looks like it fairly easy to take out except there seems to be a friction brake that I will need to pull back away from the driven pulley to slip the belt off. The motion drive belt looks a bit more of a PITA as Im not sure there is enough slack after the tension pulley is pulled back to get the belt off the engine drive pulley as that pulley is recessed. Im wondering if I need to take the engine pullies off. They are held by one bolt on the end of the crankshaft but Im not sure how to hold the crankshaft from turning to undo that bolt. I want to replace them as they seem a bit stretched as they are 7+ years old.

Thanks again
Paul

Old 02-11-13, 06:51 AM
The last blower I restored (full overhaul) found that the drive belt was a huge PITA. The auger was really easy though.
I managed to squeeze the belt in though and didn't take any pullys off.

Old 02-11-13, 07:37 AM
The last blower I restored (full overhaul) found that the drive belt was a huge PITA. The auger was really easy though.
I managed to squeeze the belt in though and didn't take any pullys off.
So you are saying you were able to do the drive belt without taking the engine pulley off?

I ask because of the two that is the one that seems really loose (stretched) and that I want to replace. When I pull back the tension pulley there is alot of slack but because of the way the crank pulley is recessed and is the inner of the two pullies on the crank the belt will not slip over the outer pulley so the only way it might come off is if it will slip off the larger driven pulley first. If not I think the crank pullies will need to come off and I dont know how to hold the crank from turning to get the bolt off.

Thanks Paul

Old 02-11-13, 07:47 AM
A lot of that slack may be by design.
When you squeeze the handle for the drive wheels, the belt tightens up with minimal or no slack?

Old 02-11-13, 09:14 AM
Mike,
When I squeeze the drive engage lever the tension pulley moves against the belt and tightens it but I still feel that is a bit loose as I can pull on the belt by hand and slide it a bit the on the pullies. I dont know how tight the belt should be held agaist the pullies. I know there is an adjustment on the cable between the engage lever and the tension pulley linkage (a small threaded link) but its almost all the way as tight as it can go. Thats why I think the belt is stretched.

Thanks Paul

Old 02-11-13, 12:23 PM
Some pics of belts

To give you an idea of how 'loose' the belts are I took some pictures.

Here is the auger/impeller drive belt. The pictures are taken with the engagement lever full down (held down with wire). In this pic you can see the black tension pulley fully pressed against the belt (the return spring is fully extended):

Im pushing with my finger on the far side of the belt so you can see how much slack there is:

And there is not much slack to take out of the engagement cable. Less than 1/16 or so of thread that I can shorten it by:

On the motion drive belt there is also alot of slack. This belt is held tight by a tension pulley (small silver pulley in background) that is always pressing against it. The belt is hard to see behind the auger/impeller belt but its the one with the little cogs in it. You can see in the second pic the slack in that one too:

Thanks Paul

Old 02-11-13, 12:42 PM
The top portion should be pretty easy to get the new belt in.
The underside can be interesting, particularly for the drive wheels from my experience.

Have you pulled the belly pan off to access the lower pullies?

Safety Note:
Remove the plastic key and disconnect the spark plug wire. It is possible to turn over the motor while fighting with the belts, and you don't want it firing up. Be very mindful of where your fingers are in respects to the moving parts.

Old 02-11-13, 01:01 PM
I have not pulled off the lower cover yet. In looking at it some more one concern I have on the motion drive belt is trying to snake the belt between the lower (driven) pulley and the friction wheel that presses against it when you engage the motion drive. It doesnt look like there is alot of clearance there.

Spark plug will be OUT when I try this.

Thanks Paul

Old 02-11-13, 01:07 PM
Yes Toro has a Service Manual part number 492-9138 if you PM me your e-mail I'll send it to you. Here are the pages for belt removal & replacment:

Old 02-11-13, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by aj-allen
Yes Toro has a Service Manual part number 492-9138 if you PM me your e-mail I'll send it to you.
You are a man-angel!! PM sent

Old 02-11-13, 01:14 PM
I should have added that you should check the main bearing (the one behind the big pulley) by trying to lift up on the big pulley to see if there is any play. If there is it should be replaced too. From your pictures I can see that your belt is warn out & needs to be replaced.

Old 02-12-13, 05:03 AM
Allen,
I didnt see this last post. I will check the pulley bearings. I read through the manual and there are some steps in the belt replacement procedure I would not have guessed if I didnt have it. Thank you for all your help!

Paul