Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sears snow thrower model 247.885680 throws both tracks.

NY

02-10-13, 01:17 PM   #1  
Sears snow thrower model 247.885680 throws both tracks.

Hi guys,
Need a little guidance here. My neighbor has a Sears craftsman model 247.885680 tracked snow thrower. He had a problem once before where the rear track drive wheels needed replacement. He had the work done and when he took it out in the middle of the recent N.E. Blizzard BOTH tracks came off the machine. Since he has heart condition I did the property and then had to manhandle the machine back to the garage for him.
Here is the question. Both the tracks seem to be okay ( no missing teeth, etc.). The sprocket wheels seem to be right ( replacements weren't available so he had his machinist make new ones) and the replaced spocket wheels seem to be proper. I believe that the tracks and wheels were not tensioned properly, because the machine literally drove out of them . NO where can I find the retensioning instructions for the tracks. Anyone know the procedure or where I can find the instructions? He has the original owners booklet and it doesn't appear to have anything.
Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links

CANADA

02-11-13, 05:18 AM   #2  
I've never worked on a blower with a track.
I would assume that as long as you have a little bit of sag in the track when you tighten it (as to not wear out the track and the rest of the drive system), you should be ok.

Using your best judgment, tighten the track so there is 1/4" to 1/2" sag (difference in the middle of the track vs. where it contacts the wheels.
Also measure from centers of the hubs from the lead wheel to the trailing wheel on both sides. They should be pretty close to equal to prevent it from walking out of the track.

Search this Thread