Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman Snow Thrower Engine Ranges and Dies

PA

02-11-13, 08:06 AM   #1  
Craftsman Snow Thrower Engine Ranges and Dies

I have a Craftsman 24" Snow Thrower model 247.886640 with an engine number 143.015007 Carburetor part number 640084A. Recently it would die after 15 minutes, I would let it rest and it would work again, then die again, then work again etc. On Saturday it died and wouldn't start again. I could prime it and it would fire but then die. But on Sunday after a while, it started up and idled for 10 or 15 minutes with the throttle on high and then the engine started ranging - that is revving up and revving down. I use Stabil to winterize the mower and start it up every 3 months or so and haven't had any problems in the past.
I need advice on how to get the engine running smoothly again. My first guess is a carburetor problem, but it is hard to get to on this model. I can access the bottom of the carb and when I press a screw on the bottom gas comes out showing there is gas in the bowl.

Sponsored Links

IL

02-11-13, 09:01 AM   #2  
carburetor hunting

You're probably correct about carburetion being the issue but it also could be a partially plugged fuel filter. If it an inline I would take it off and blow thru with compressed air and see what you get.

Search this Thread