Timing a kohler k582 engine

Old 02-13-13, 04:11 PM
Timing a kohler k582 engine

Hi, I have a Kohler k582-36272 engine. this goes to a Bolens Ht23 tractor. I am finishing a rebuild/restoration on this engine and have a couple of questions about timing.

I have replaced the points and opened to .020 as per manual. The book says to use the timing sight hole in the flywheel cover and turn the governor housing to set the sp flywheel point in the sight hole.

My flywheel cover has a hole about 1" in diameter with a pop out tin plug. My concern is that when setting timing on other engines, there is a precise 2 degree scale so you can mark ie. 8 deg. btdc. Am I missing something, or is trying to center the timing mark in the center of a 1" hole good enough?

thanks for all help!

Ed

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-13, 07:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you looked closely for a line stamped into the cover? It has been a while since I looked at an engine like that, but I was thinking there was a thin line stamped for TDC. I have a manual for this somewhere, might have to dig it out.

Old 02-14-13, 07:41 AM
Hi Cheese. thanks for the follow-up I will look for the line on the cover that would make sense.