Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ariens ST824 Snowthrower - Auger Pulleys Does Not line Up

NJ

02-19-13, 01:10 PM   #1  
Ariens ST824 Snowthrower - Auger Pulleys Do Not line Up

Ariens ST824 SnowThrower - Model No: 924082 Seriel No: 010134

Brand new auger belt rides the side of the auger wheel/pulley, shreds/smokes and is about to pop off because it's not lining up with the drive pulley. Wheel drive pulleys appear to line up fine and work well.

Anyone see this type of strange occurrence before?

Background: One neighbor gave the "basket-case" machine to another neighbor who asked me to get it running as I have the exact same model. Did a friction wheel, carb rebuild, new tire, freed up seized linkages etc -- everything went well until I put the 2 halves back together and found this auger belt misalignment problem.

Last edited by Ratdude; 02-19-13 at 01:37 PM.

Sponsored Links

NY

02-20-13, 06:11 AM   #2  
The Ariens

When you took it appart, did you move any of the pulleys on the shafts? When you put the two halves back together, did they mate up tightly? Did the belt get twisted? Were the belts switched? Just some thoughts.
Sid

NJ

02-20-13, 07:16 AM   #3  
None of those things Sid but all reasonable scenarios, thanks. I know because I've had this thing split 20 times now trying to figure out this crazy situation.

It's bizarre. The only thing I can think it might be is that the machine has the wrong auger pulley. There's alot of evidence inside the belt compartment that this thing has shredded belts before.

And *I think* that the auger pulley is supposed to be dished to one side -- this one is not.

It's driving me nuts! And I already wasted too much time and a $27 dollar belt.

Any and all other thoughts are greatly appreciated.

NY

02-20-13, 01:28 PM   #4  
Ethier way, the pulleys have to be in line. If they are more than 1/8" out, they will damage belts in a short length of time. Also check those brackets that hold the belts away from the engine pulleys while they are not under tension [working]. Try to determine if indeed the pulley in question, is the right one for your blower. Get someone to eyeball it, maybe take it off, and show it to a dealer or a lawnmower shop. Maybe a picture will do.
Sid

NJ

02-20-13, 02:57 PM   #5  
Ethier way, the pulleys have to be in line. If they are more than 1/8" out, they will damage belts in a short length of time.
That's what's going on -- my best guess is that the auger pulley on this machine is not the right one. *I think* the right one is dished which would make up the 1/8 inch or so that it's out.

Also, it measures less than 9 inches across and the OEM pulley shown on repairclinic looks like it measures 9 1/2 inches.

The old pulley belt that I removed was not OEM. The new one I bought was definitely OEM and is an inch longer - and it's now toast. $27 bucks!

Also check those brackets that hold the belts away from the engine pulleys while they are not under tension [working]. Try to determine if indeed the pulley in question, is the right one for your blower. Get someone to eyeball it, maybe take it off, and show it to a dealer or a lawnmower shop. Maybe a picture will do.
Not sure which brackets you mean?

Both the spring loaded / constant idler pulley for the wheels and lever activated / auger pulley's are correct.

This is what I did to resolve this issue: I took off the auger pulley and threaded nuts on to the hub lugs, then put the pulley on and secured it with it's usual nuts. The nuts underneath the pulley supply the 1/8 or so spacing needed to align the motor/drive pulley with the the auger pulley.

It works, so I guess I'll go with it. Do you foresee any trouble with this type of jury rigging?

Thanks for your input.

MA

02-20-13, 05:14 PM   #6  
Rat,
You said that you have the same exact model. Cant you compare the auger pulley (or its mounting) on the 'basket case' to the one on your 'good' working unit? My opinion is thay your jury rig will be fine as long as the spacers (nuts) you added are exactly the right thickness to make sure the auger pulley now lines up with the tension and drive pullies. If the auger pulley on that unit is infact the wrong one (replaced at some point) then its possible it may also have the wrong diameter.

Paul

Last edited by Paul78zephyr; 02-20-13 at 05:32 PM.

NJ

02-20-13, 06:05 PM   #7  
I do Paul and you'd have thunk I would have dug mine out of the garage and broke it down/split it in two to see -- but no, I didn't yet.

The idea that the pulley wasn't OEM didn't come to me 'til after my original post -- and by then, I was already in MacGyver mode rigging a solution.

I originally thought that I was having was one of those blunder moments, missing something obvious that others had experienced but I just couldn't see - you know how that goes.

I'm sending the machine back to it's new owner tomorrow and after i do, I will at least bust open my dust cover and measure my auger wheel for comparison, if only for the sake of curiosity. But I don't think I will be able to tell if my OEM pulley is slightly dished/offset unless I actually remove it from the machine.

Thanks for your vote of confidence in my makeshift repair -- I too think it will be fine.

MA

02-20-13, 07:15 PM   #8  
Ok,
I got you. I didnt know if you had both machines side-by-side or not. You are right that you would need to tear apart your 'good' machine to truely know if the other one had the incorrect pulley and you probably should not do that. The jury rigged unit is probably fine now. If you hear anything back from the new owner - good or bad - let us know.

Thanks
Paul

NJ

02-20-13, 08:22 PM   #9  
Will do, for sure - if any of my experiences can help anyone, I would just love that. Thank you very kindly for your input and support.

I really appreciate it.

Search this Thread