Craftsman 3/20 536.884231 won't stop running!

Old 02-23-13, 06:48 AM
Craftsman 3/20 536.884231 won't stop running!

I have been working on a Craftsman 3/20 536.884231 3hp snowblower. It has a tecumseh 3hp 2-cycle motor. The Sears number for the engine 200.711001. I rebuilt the carb and got it running. Probably the only time I'll say this, but luckily we had snow this week. The snowblower ran great. The only problem now is it will not shut off with the key switch. It is a pull start only, no electric start option installed. I think this is probably something simple with the key switch wiring. In the photo you can see the wire I am talking about. I'm not sure where the loose end on the bottom of the photo should go. I of course have one extra machine screw from the teardown/rebuild, and I have a feeling that is what should connect this wire to whatever. I had it grounded to the flywheel housing when it would not shut off. Does the orientation of the black harness in the photo as it is connected to the actual key switch matter? Any suggestions/help?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-13, 07:50 AM
Group Moderator
I don't know that particular engine but generally the wire needs to be attached to the engine. When you close the circuit to kill the engine it shorts the coil to ground so there is no spark.

Search this Thread