Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

MTD 13.5hp tecumseh riding mower wont turn over VIDEO help please

MS

02-28-13, 04:27 PM   #1  
MTD 13.5hp tecumseh riding mower wont turn over VIDEO help please

i have a mtd riding mower with a 13.5hp tecumseh, i cannot get it to turn over, it cracks or half cranks but it will not turn over.

i replaced the battery with a brand new one and nothing.

i checked and clean all grounds and connections and nothing

i changed the spark plug and nothing

i changed the oil? and nothing

i checked my key switch and nothing

i attempted and i think i did it right, adjusted the valves like the service manual calls and nothing

i check the solenoid and its good

any help is welcome

here is a vid that i made showing what it does..

MTD 13.5hp tecumseh riding mower wont start - YouTube

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

02-28-13, 05:00 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forum.

You sure did a lot of work. When you have a problem you have to go at it logically.
The engine needs gas and a spark.

Did you check for spark ?
If you have your old plug......connect it to the spark plug wire and then let it lay on a metal part of the engine. Don't hold it ! Crank the engine .... do you have spark.

If you do.....time to check for gas.
Is the gas valve turned on ?
Try cranking a few times and remove spark plug. Is there gas on it ?

MS

02-28-13, 05:43 PM   #3  
yes, added new gas and check fuel valve and its good and open. i dont believe its a gas problem because i have been able to to start it once ever since after about 50 tries and operates fine, it runs, it revs, turns on blades, reverse works...

i do not know if you were able to view the video link i posted, but its like the starter does not have enough juice? or like its hung on something...

i cleaned the magnets((i think they are called flywheel)) not sure its the same thing but they look fine, not chipped or anything..

im lost...

MA

02-28-13, 08:00 PM   #4  
Just to clarify in the video, you are holding the switch to start when cranking it? Your not just blipping the starter?

Just for kicks, try jump starting the mower.

Do you have a voltmeter?

1. Set it for DC volts, place the lead on the starter motor terminal and a good ground. What do you get WHILE cranking? This will give us the cranking voltage.

2. Still on DC volts, put one lead on the positive battery post. Place the other on the starter motor terminal and crank. What do you get? We're checking for voltage drop here.

3. Place your meter ACROSS the starter solenoid. Crank the engine, what do you get for volts? Again, checking for voltage drop.

You can have a bad starter too.

Hope it helps.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-28-13, 09:55 PM   #5  
Does the engine crank fine without the spark plug?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MS

03-01-13, 07:00 AM   #6  
yes, i am holding the key switch for a few secs and then the engine it kind off gets stuck or does not spin freely then i let go and then i try it again and nothing.. i will check voltage and a do a jumps start from the starter this pm and report back.

MS

03-01-13, 02:09 PM   #7  
i removed the spark plug and tried to start it and the engine spins freely but no crank.

i check the spark plug wire with the plug in it grounded and it does give a nice spark.

i put the spark plug back in and its a no go, it does not spin freely and it gets hung like my video.

Last edited by lalord69; 03-01-13 at 04:07 PM.

MA

03-01-13, 03:55 PM   #8  
i removed the spark plug and tried to crank it and the engine spins freely but no crank.
Let's clarify some terminology - cranks, the starter turns the engine. Turns over - same thing. Neither term means "starts." It just spins the engine.

In the video your engine does crank.

Is it still getting "stuck" with the sparkplug removed?

MS

03-01-13, 04:06 PM   #9  
sorry about that, but no, with the spark plug removed it spins freely

MA

03-01-13, 06:25 PM   #10  
No worries. It's just easier if we all use the same terms.

OK, it does turn over without the spark plug in. That's good. It probably isn't a connecting rod or other "lower end" damage that's causing the cranking problem.

Get us those voltage readings PLEASE. High resistance in the circuit, or a bad starter, can do this.

Can you post the model #'s on the engine. It is an overhead valve model if I recall. You could have a bad compression release OR the valves aren't adjusted correctly. One quick check, pull the valve cover and crank it. You should see the exhaust valve open slightly as the piston approaches TDC.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-01-13, 08:40 PM   #11  
Sure looks/sounds like the valves are still too loose.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NY

03-03-13, 11:33 AM   #12  
The Tecumseh

Could it be fireing before TDC, is the flywheel key OK?
Sid

MS

03-03-13, 06:45 PM   #13  
u nailed it... after many things i tried, i decided to reset the valves and that did it...

MA

03-04-13, 09:56 AM   #14  
Glad you got it.

Thanks for posting back.

Search this Thread