cant turn off tractor

Old 02-04-01, 07:10 PM
I have a sears 11 hp lawn tracter with electric start. When the key is turned to the off position, the engine continues to run. I guess its better than not starting at all. Any ideas on how to fix this. I imagine that the there is a wire that needs to go to ground when the ignition is turned off, but Im not sure.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-01, 11:29 PM
Visiting Guest
Id have to say start with the switch . They are cheap & easy to replace & a pretty basic design so they do wear out esp if the mower is older . Sears web site allows you to look at various diagrams & parts which can help you isolate the cause of the problem .Just select the parts section , type in all the applicable info & they have exploded views of various parts along with prices .

Old 02-05-01, 02:58 PM
Nope its not the switch. I actually replaced it already.
Thanks

Old 02-05-01, 04:35 PM
Admin Emeritus
Lightbulb

Hi:Ktm250rider

Based on the information you posted, the excellent and correct reply instructions you got from Lear, sorry it didn't correct the problem.

The next location to check would be the ignition module. Check for proper grounding. Also check the wires from the switch that go to the ignition, for proper grounding. Also check for continuity thru all those wires and for faulty or loose connections.

The problem may also be within the ignition system. Check at the ignition coil also. Check for a fault at the spark distribution control if equipped.

Some machines may use a safety device as the ignitions kill switch in combo with the safety device. You'll need to check everything electrically there also.

This type of electrical problem or any of this type can rattle just about any one's cage. hang in there, keep testing and make notes of everything so you'll be able to keep track of what you tested and the results.

Electrical problems, such as this, may or may not be easy to locate even for the professional. The main reason why those whom specialize in this type of electrical service can charge customers so dearly......and twice if they worked one it first!...