Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

gas oil mixtures

IL

03-06-13, 11:40 AM   #1  
gas oil mixtures

Hi,
I know there has been a lot of posts on this subject, is there a general gas to oil mixture that will work for all 2 cycle engines? Some of my equipment is 50:1 some is 32:1 etc.

I am thinking of making a mixture of 32:1 and use it for all, versus having several gas cans with different mixtures.

I have also seen premixed gas & oil in small cans at my local small engine shop that is suppose to last up to 2 years, I wonder what ratio they use and is it any good?

Thank You

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

03-06-13, 12:01 PM   #2  
There are types of oil that claim to be universal mix and some people have reported good results.

In my experience....it really depends on the equipment. When I ran 3 barracks on an Army base..we had multiple Pro quality 2 cycle tools including chain saws, trimmers, and edgers. Some worked ok on the universal mix....some did not.

I also found that my home use Ryobi weedwacker did not like ANY other oil other than Ryobi. I tried Sears oil I had for my blower and it was dirty and hard to start. I tried a generic 2 cycle oil at the right mix with the same results on the wacker/edger...but the blower worked just fine.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-06-13, 02:34 PM   #3  
After my last Sthil had an early death, I'm leery of both the universal oil and ethanol. I no longer use either. My little Poulan saw is 40:1 and my big Husqvarna is 50:1 I started out using the 40:1 in both but the husqvarna is so thirsty, I bought an extra jug and now run the correct amount in both.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

NC

03-06-13, 03:04 PM   #4  
I'm a believer in Stihl HP Ultra oil and I use one blend ratio for all my equipment. The big drawback is that the oil is more expensive than most but since you don't need much it's not a big deal. I'm also not fond of the smell when it burns. It's not overly bad but just does not have the normal 2 cycle smell I grew up with.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-06-13, 05:48 PM   #5  
You can use a quality synthetic oil mixed at 50:1 in non ethanol gas in pretty much all 2 stroke equipment. Manufacturers won't all agree on this, and not all people will agree with this either, but I recall seeing tests done at 50:1 and even leaner with good results. I want to say "The Tow Guy" who is a moderator in another forum here was part of that test, but I can't say for sure.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread