Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Poulan Pro chainsaw starts, idles extremely fast, but dies when I hit the gas...

TX

03-11-13, 12:18 PM   #1  
Poulan Pro chainsaw starts, idles extremely fast, but dies when I hit the gas...

My Poulan Pro chainsaw (Model # PP4218AVX) starts OK, but on half choke it runs extremely fast, and when I hit the gas, or kill the choke, it dies immediately. I've used new gas/oil mix. Air filter looks good, plug looks good. The last time I used it, about six months ago, it worked fine.

Sponsored Links

IA

03-11-13, 07:08 PM   #2  
It's typical for fuel starvation. Could be a plugged vent on the fuel cap, but likely is a varnish problem in the carburetor or a stiff fuel pump diaphragm in the carb. If it's never had a kit put in the carb, I would do that and clean it up in the process.

That will likely take care of it.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-12-13, 12:43 AM   #3  
The extremely fast thing makes me think air leak. I'd be checking around the carb areafor a leaking intake gasket and if nothing found, go to the carb itself and check the fuel lines.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread