Generac 4000exl generator gas leaking through carb to airbox, help!

Old 03-18-13, 04:45 PM
Exclamation Generac 4000exl generator gas leaking through carb to airbox, help!

I bought the generator a few years ago and had no problems with it since then. now it wont start and gas is leaking from the choke side of the carb into the airbox. I thought that it may have been flooded so i took the carb off and drained the fuel from it only to have it leak again after a few pulls to start it. im trying to avoid buying a new carb so im hoping there is an easy fix. if not a carb is cheaper than a new one. Any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-13, 07:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You need to take the bowl off the carb and clean the carb. The float is probably stuck down.

Old 03-18-13, 08:50 PM
thats what i did today and the float seemed to move freely and everything seemed to be pretty clean , but it moved with the bowl off, could it be sticking when the bowl is on?

Old 03-18-13, 08:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Could be, is there a dent in the side of the bowl? Something is allowing the needle to leak. The needle and seat may need to be cleaned.

Old 03-18-13, 11:14 PM
everything is intact as far as i know the bowl was clean and dent free, maybe soak in some carb cleaner? any cleaning suggestions?

Old 03-18-13, 11:16 PM
Group Moderator
Don 't soak the needle valve in carb cleaner. It's rubber tipped and will melt or deform.

Old 03-18-13, 11:24 PM
ill go pull it apart again in the am and see what i can do its a tiny carb, didnt look like it would come apart any further.

Old 03-19-13, 10:39 PM
Well I took the carb apart and fixed the leak now the damn thing wont start. im thinking the spark plug got wet i havent had to buy one yet is it something i can get at a hardware store or is it a specialty item?

Old 03-19-13, 11:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Probably a common plug. If it's a chinese honda GX clone engine, a champion RC12YC will fit.