GC160 5hp Honda Engine on Excell Power Washer

Old 04-02-13, 09:32 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GC160 5hp Honda Engine on Excell Power Washer

HI all:

I'm new to the forum. I saw an old thread describing my problem but it was too old to post a response to.

I'm getting something into my crankcase oil on my powerwasher. At first I thought it was water, but I'm now thinking it is gas after reading several posts. I never really noticed a gas smell in the oil but I'm thinking it is probably the culprit.

The only reason I notice this is because when I check the oil after using the powerwasher, it overflows onto the ground. The oil level wasn't that high before using it, so something is getting in there. It is a grey color but uniform (not like spoiled milk which you'd expect it it was water.)

So, I'm thinking it is something to do with the carb. I have to admit, in the past I've just put stabil in the gas tank, run it for a bit, and then stored it away for the winter. I'm thinking the carb is gummed up, something is stuck and allowing too much gas into the carb which is overflowing into the cylinder.

What do you guys think? I've ordered a replacement carb for $20. Was surprised the cost was so cheap. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem or heard of it, and if the culprit was the carb feeding to much gas.

The washer seems to run just fine and I haven't noticed anything unusual with the way it runs.

Thanks.

Old 04-02-13, 09:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Sounds like gas, but if the oil is grey, that's a sign of aluminum in the oil. That means something is wearing out fast in the engine. If it has been run a lot with gas in the oil, or run with low oil, that may be the reason.

Old 04-02-13, 09:42 AM
B
Thank you for the quick reply....you are fast.

I looked at that oil again (I saved the bad oil in a container).

It is a darker color than I remembered. More of a dark brown. No separation of liquids which again makers me think its gas.

If the new carb doesn't fix things, would the next thing in line to fix/replace be the fuel pump? I can't think of any other way gas could be getting into the crank. The engine runs pretty good, doesn't smoke, etc.

Old 04-02-13, 06:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yeah, the carb should do it. Does this even have a fuel pump? If so, don't worry about it, it's probably not the problem.

Old 04-03-13, 10:02 AM
B
Hi..

It does have a fuel pump. It is a pulse type pump with a rubber hose coming off of it that goes into the crank for pressure. The other nipple goes to the fuel tank and the third directs gas to the carb.

I guess if the pump went bad, gas could be getting into the crank via the rubber hose. I'm just going to replace it as well. With a new carb and new fuel pump, there should be no way gas can get into the crank. Parts are on order. I'll update this thread when I've got the new ones installed to let you know how it went.

In case anyone has the same issue, here are the links to the parts I ordered.

Pump Assy.- Fuel [16700-Z0J-003] - $19.36 at eReplacementParts.com
Carburetor Assy - Bb61J A [16100-Z0J-013] - $20.60 at eReplacementParts.com

Old 04-03-13, 10:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It won't hurt to replace it, I forgot that honda did use those on their GC horizontal shaft engines. I think only once in my 20 something years of experience have I seen a fuel pump of that style leak gas through the pulse line.

Old 04-03-13, 03:12 PM
B
Well, we will find out. I just want the problem to go away. I suspect it is probably the carb as well. I am going to replace both at the same time and if the problem is fixed, I'll just blame it on whatever part I feel like

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: