Troy-Bilt generator neutral unbonding

Old 03-23-13, 10:38 AM
Troy-Bilt generator neutral unbonding

I just picked up my 6000 watt Troy-Bilt generator at Lowes this past week, and I want to add a transfer switch. I understand that the neutral ground bond has to be disconnected so as to avoid issues with GFCI tripping and a parallel path of current flowing to the house and generator, which could cause problems. I took off the control panel, and found the neutal bond on one of the outlets. Its a turn of the screw to get the jumper end out of the neutral position on the outlet, but to remove the other end on the ground its not as cut and dry. The wire is held together with another jumper wire by a vinyl ring stud...I would have to remove the ground screw completely, cut the ring stud off...and then I would have the neutral bond wire free...my question is, would I just be able to remove the neutral end, and cap it off and not remove the ground end?...would that be safe, and would it completely remove the neutral ground bond?

Charlie

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-13, 11:58 AM
Disconnect the neutral and leave the grounds alone.

There's no advantage, or need, to remove both ends.

Old 03-23-13, 12:20 PM
A better plan is to leave the generator alone and use a transfer switch or panel that switches the neutral conductor.

Old 03-23-13, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the responses!...I will probably remove the neutral end and cap it...Furd...I appreciate the suggestion, but the neutral switching transfer switches are more pricey, and I'm not too sure how that goes together...the Reliance transfer switch seems pretty straight forward to install...and I'm only using this generator for power outages, nothing more...

Charlie

Old 03-23-13, 07:00 PM
Since it appears that safety isn't all that important to you but saving the last nickel is, I wish you well.

I would not consider second-guessing the experts who write the NEC if I were doing a new installation. Now IF you had an existing transfer panel and needed a relatively safe work-around I could give you some advice, but scrimping on safety in a new installation just to save a few dollars is foolish in my opinion.

Old 03-23-13, 07:43 PM
Where is he "scimping on safety?"

Many generator manufacturers require that you remove the neutral/ground bond to use with a transfer switch and post instructions on how to do so.

Most people ignore this, or don't know about it, and connect their generators to a transfer switch that doesn't switch the neutrals. He's actually doing it to Code.

Old 03-23-13, 08:20 PM
The reason I came on here and posted a question was because of safety.. I keep getting conflicting answers though. Furd, I have read your prior posts where you detailed other suggestions rather then installing a neutral switching transfer switch that you stated wasn't code and could be unsafe if you drove over the inlet cord etc... Why you seem to now to take a different position is beyond me... I wasn't looking to piss anyone off, just some honest help... Thanks to all who responded!

Charlie

Old 03-24-13, 12:06 AM
I have NEVER advocated installing a transfer switch or transfer panel that did not also transfer the neutral. What I HAVE described upon numerous occasions is a method to alleviate the hazards of having a non-neutral switching panel that is already installed.

Since you are starting from scratch it is best to install the neutral switching panel, then you will use the generator as it was manufactured, no modifications necessary.

I believe I have also stated more than once that the way the latest edition of the NEC is written that there is NO way that a PORTABLE generator may be connected to a premises that is 100% code compliant. This has to do with the location of disconnecting means along with the location of the neutral-equipment ground-machine frame bonding. The discussion is quite long, tedious and concerns many different sections of the NEC. I have also addressed these things with MY OPINION of the degree of hazards involved. Note carefully that I state it is MY OPINION and that my opinion carries no weight whatsoever with any official position of the NFPA or any political subdivision. You are free to accept or reject my opinion and my writings.