Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman tiller came back from neighbor, all the oil has leaked on the floor

VT

03-29-13, 06:31 AM   #1  
Craftsman tiller came back from neighbor, all the oil has leaked on the floor

lent my 20 yr old tiller to the neighbor last summer. I'm told he ran it long and hard all one day. It was returned and put in the garage, soon after I see that the floor under it is saturated with oil. Any thoughts...my first instinct is that he cooked the engine. have not tried to start it as I didn't want to do any more damage to it if that's possible.

Sponsored Links

MI

03-29-13, 06:46 AM   #2  
There's engine oil and there's gear box oil; what are the levels of each? Not knowing what the engine is, it may have a dipstick, but probably a fill plug that you fill it to. The gear box also probably has a plug that you fill to. You will have to check the manal to see what oil is used in the gear box, but if gear oil, it will have a distinct smell. Can you see where the oil is running from? If not, you might want to start by wiping it clean, then seeing if the leak reveals itself.

VT

03-29-13, 06:54 AM   #3  
I will do some investigating tonight and see what I can figure out. thanks

Group Moderator

NC

03-29-13, 09:14 AM   #4  
And that is whey I don't lend out tools, trailers or vehicles. Everyone's response was; A "I didn't do that" or B "I don't have any money. I can't pay for that."

My tiller lower end takes 80 or 90W gear oil and like pedro mentioned, it has a distinctive smell. Chances are you'll be able to see where the oil leaked from since the engine is up high and the gearbox is down low.

AR

03-29-13, 03:26 PM   #5  
Don't start the engine before checking the oil. I worked on a JD rider today and it had less that a Quart of oil in it,,good thing I did not run it. Next time you loan out the tiller get a deposit ,haaaaaaaa that will stop that. Or check the fluids in front of them when it is loaned and returned. Could it be a weed or someting has gotten in the gearbox seals?? Good Luck

VT

04-01-13, 01:13 PM   #6  
OK, so it appears that the oil is engine oil. Just smells like regular oil. I looked in where the plug is to add oil, there is no dip stick, couldn't see oil, but when I put my little finger in, there was oil about an inch in from the plug.

AR

04-01-13, 01:27 PM   #7  
Fill the oil up to the top part of the threads and you should be good to go. Check the air filter to make sure it is not plugged as it will suck the oil out of machine if filter is plugged. Also is this a Vertical shaft or Horizontal engine? If vertical shaft oil maybe leaking out of seal, if Horizontal oil maybe leaking from cover gasket. Good luck

VT

04-01-13, 01:30 PM   #8  
Not to sound too dumb...but how do I tell the difference between a Vertical and horizontal shaft engine?

Super Moderator

AZ

04-01-13, 01:38 PM   #9  
Although it wasn't a tiller, I once a had a problem with a push mower where it started smelling like it was running "hot". Stopped mowing and checked the oil...really low and upon inspection found 1 (2?) bolts had loosened and dropped out of the bottom (crankcase cover?) and several others were loose. If I had noticed when I pulled it out of the shed...I would have seen the oil on the floor and never started it.

Luckily it was saved with a few new bolts and gaskets.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

MI

04-01-13, 02:44 PM   #10  
The shaft that he referred to is the crankshaft, which the pulley on the engine is attached to. If the engine pulley is standing upright, as with most rototillers, it is a horizontal shaft engine; if the engine pully is laying flat in relationship to the ground, it is a vertical shaft engine.

Group Moderator

NC

04-01-13, 03:41 PM   #11  
Thess tillers have a horizontal shaft engine. They often have the tines in the rear and driven wheels though they can also have front tines in which case you can usually spot a sheet metal or plastic guard on the side of the engine. Another giveaway of a horizontal engine is that the pull cord and it's round housing is on the side of the engine.

These tillers have a vertical shaft engine. I think of this as an older style and the engine is bolted right on top of the gear case that goes down to the tines. A vertical engine has the pull cord on top .

http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/ima...arpen=1&qlt=85

VT

04-02-13, 05:13 AM   #12  
Thanks for the info...it looks to me like I have a vertical shaft engine. The gear box is definitely below the engine and the pull cord is on top.

AR

04-02-13, 06:21 AM   #13  
Can you post a model number off engine so we all can know what engine it is?? Thanks

VT

04-02-13, 06:34 AM   #14  
I will see what I can find.

VT

04-05-13, 06:37 AM   #15  
OK...so on closer inspection, rather than memory, I have discovered that this is a horizontal shaft engine. I find no numbers on the engine itself, at least not visible. the numbers on the tiller are these:
Craftsman 5 HP built by Briggs and Stratton
Model #- 917 298350
Serial #- 3160S05422

Last edited by deblefeb; 04-05-13 at 08:27 AM.

AR

04-05-13, 02:51 PM   #16  
I would be checking the filler covers to see if it is cracked or loose and check the side cover gasket to see if gasket it broken and to see if the case bolts are loose. The model number for engine should be on the recil housing near the carburetor. You will need model number and Type number. Also make sure that breather tube is connected to carburetor.

Search this Thread