poulan chainsaw vacuum problem?....starts but won't run

Old 04-12-13, 08:24 AM
poulan chainsaw vacuum problem?....starts but won't run

hi, my poulan 2375 wildthing chainsaw (approx 12 y old) will (eventually) start but does not keep running. Here's my trouble shooting overview:
1) Gas cap feels like it is being sucked in too tight.....tried to pull / push on the little "duckbill" on the inside of gap
2) Primer bulb does stay "collapsed" for a long time....comes back VERY slowly...
Based on this I think I may have a problem getting gas to the carb.....hence it will not keep running after starting..
3) I did check the gas lines ....only thing I noticed is that the fuel filter was not connected to the fuel line in the tank (when trying to reconnect : the fuel line keeps on splitting....|
So I guess i need new fuel line,....but not sure if that can cause the "vacuum" problem.......any insight/ideas would be much appreciated.....
(Yes i did clean the airfilter "sponge"...was very dirty.....brushed it off thoroughly....even tried running without airfilter: no luck!!)
Please lmk yr ideas, WILLETTFARM

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-13, 08:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The carb needs cleaning. without the fuel filter, it picked up trash and clogged it.

Old 04-12-13, 09:14 AM
carb cleaning & new fuel lines should fix it?

thnx for quick response!....so
a) install new fuel line (to re-attach fuel filter....or should i get new one?....its the "stone" type
b) perform carb cleaning: any tips? have no experience with this type....do i take the whole thing apart & then clean and just re-assemble?
that should take care of the "vacuum" issue and keep it running?

Old 04-12-13, 10:29 AM
The best thing to do would be replace all the lines since you have the one inside the tank splitting. That's an indication the lines are getting brittle. Also with the relatively low cost of a carb kit, put one in it after the cleaning.

The Poulan Wildthing has a life of about 120 running hours so that life vs use has to be taken into consideration when deciding how much time/money you want to put into it.

The 120 hours, though is a lot of run time.

Old 04-12-13, 10:38 AM
thnx for yr advice....probably has under 10 hour of use....so you do mean put a whole new carb on it? (any $ idea partswise?)...appreciate yr help!

Old 04-12-13, 11:10 AM
No. Just the kit will likely take care of it. Ten hours shouldn't have worn anything out. The kit should be less than ten bucks.

When you reassemble everything double check the parts' fit and torque on the screws and bolts to prevent a vacuum leak at interfaces of parts.

After reassembly if you get a fast idle that won't come down, spray some WD40 around the gaskets while it's running. If the rpms change it indicates a leak. Hopefully everything will go back together smoothly.

Taking snap shots of everything before disassembling (especially the line routing and hookup) helps a lot to get it back together,

Old 04-12-13, 12:42 PM
Fixed!!

thnx guys for yr prompt response & GREAT INSIGHT!!!....the little meshscreen filter on top of the carb was extremely clogged!!!.....cleaning with compresses air & I got it to start & cut!!....just seems to stall after a bit on idle...will have to figure out if thats the idle or low setting which i may have inadverently changed a bit while cleaning/ taking things apart....thnx again!!