B&S Mower won't start

Old 04-18-13, 04:29 PM
Question B&S Mower won't start

I was mowing last night and after a couple of passes, the engine cut and I couldn't restart it. The cord wouldn't pull more than a couple of inches. I cleaned out the air filter (I'd neglected it), but that didn't help. From reading online I checked that the cord wasn't the problem and tried removing the spark plug to see if it would then pull - it didn't pull easily. I also topped off the oil as it was really low. After all this, I can now, barely, pull the cord a few feet out, but it's really hard to pull and there's no way I can get the engine to turn over. Is there anything more I can try? Did I seize the engine by not paying much attention to the oil level?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-13, 04:45 PM
Did by chance the engine brake cable break?? That is the cable attached to the pull down handle to start. But if it was put away running and you added oil later it should not be locked up but if engine quit while you were mower it could have locked up on ya,,,but the brake cable sounds like a could place to start first. Good luck. Now that I reread your post the engine could be toast!

Old 04-18-13, 04:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sure sounds like you locked it up by running it out of oil.

Old 04-18-13, 04:50 PM
There's no handle to hold down while starting on this mower - just the cord to pull. If the engine's locked up that's it right? It's not usually worth fixing?

Old 04-18-13, 08:53 PM
Yep, it is finished. Unless you can find a used engine somewhere. If it is older model take it to a recycle place and you may get scrape price for it.