Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start

Old 04-19-13, 05:36 PM
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start

Ran out of gas. Refuled , it started, ran 5 seconds then stopped. No gas to spark plug. Maybe a vacuum. Unhooked all lines, reconnected, same issue. Fule in filter. Fuel to rotary "thing" bolted to side on engine. Not much out the other end when cranking. Used starter fluid below air filter. Started then stopped when fluid was spent. Craftsman 4500, 26hp Kohler. 2nd season. Thanx Ted

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-13, 06:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Take the line off the fuel pump ("rotary "thing" bolted to side on engine") and crank until fuel comes out. If it ran out of gas, it probably has air in the lines. If it doesn't come out, blow into the gas tank to pressurize it and make gas come out the fuel pump and try again. If it still doesn't pump, check for obstructions.

Old 04-19-13, 08:34 PM
It took me forever to get one to pump up today on a 15 HP Kohler. I ended up taking the mower and lifting it up with chain hoist till fuel run through the filter.

Old 04-26-13, 04:42 PM
Got fuel through the pump, put in new plugs, have spark at plugs, removed air cleaner and can see fuel laying in openings. Still won't start. Pulled new plugs, faint smell of fuel on plugs, but they aren't wet. Suspect fuel not getting to chamber. How can this have happened by jjst running out of fuel? Help !

Old 04-26-13, 06:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Where are you seeing fuel puddled? Generally if you can see fuel puddled, it is flooding badly.

Old 04-28-13, 05:22 AM
I see the fuel in the openings under the air filter. I don't have any on the plugs.

Old 04-28-13, 10:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Do the spark plugs spark when cranking? If so, try adding some gas to the plug holes, then put the plugs in and see if it will start and run for a moment.

Old 04-28-13, 12:11 PM
Already posted this, yes I have spark. Appears the gas sits in the carb but doesn't to the chamber. Ran great before it ran out of gas. Only 2 years old.

Old 04-28-13, 01:33 PM
Take air filter housing off and look at/in carburetor and make sure the butterflies are opening,meaning choke and throttle butterflies,,sometimes these shafts break and or wear out and they don't open to allow the gas into the engine. Also you may have a stuck float,,tap on float bowl a little with screw driver and then try it.

Old 04-28-13, 09:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yeah, sorry for asking what you already posted. I don't always go back and re-read the whole threads before I reply to them when I don't have loads of time.

Your problem is going to be in the carb. Sounds like it's time to open it up and see what got in it.

Search this Thread