Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Homelite chainsaw: "Safe T Tip" gone

VA

04-21-13, 08:28 AM   #1  
Homelite chainsaw: "Safe T Tip" gone

I have a 20" homelite chainsaw and was using it to cut a stump closer to the ground. The stump circumference was pretty big, and after working the chainsaw back and forth a lot I found the "Safe T Tip" on the ground- not sure how it broke off.

A "Safe T Tip" looks like this: fits on the end of the bar.
Safe T Tip [308944001] - $4.24 at eReplacementParts.com

I'm sure I could rivet this thing back on... but is there any really good reason to replace it, since a) not all chainsaws have them and b) it's annoying and gets in the way? And I've got more stump work to do?

Sponsored Links

CO

04-21-13, 08:44 AM   #2  
Your Safe T Tip is held on by a small bolt it is there to prevent kickback. Lookup chain saw kickback. If you feel your skill set with a chain saw is up to par leave it off but do lookup kickback.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

04-21-13, 08:45 AM   #3  
I can't say not to replace it since it is a factory installed safety feature, BUT it is primarily the government dictated safety trying to save us from ourselves. IMO, it would be the first thing in the trash if I bought a new saw. However, it serves a purpose. If you have ever rolled the tip of a saw into a log, you will quickly find out why it is there. It prevents the forward kick produced when it accelerates the chain at the tip. Your level of skill and knowledge would dictate whether or not to replace it. I think they bolt on rather than rivet on, so replacement would not be that difficult.

IA

04-21-13, 08:46 AM   #4  
Not a lot of chainsaws have them. It's for chain flyoff and the bar climbing if you cut past the end of the bar. With chainsaws that's always an issue if the chain breaks or is too loose and comes off the bar. In theory the end of the bar would never be in the cut, but mine always is to cut larger trees, etc.

I would never tell someone to leave it off since it's a safety device, but I never have one with it on. I make sure the chain brake is working and the chain is adjusted properly. I never use a wornout chain on a saw and you should never cut off the top of the bar.

Someone who does standing tree trimming should leave it on, though. A chain coming off there is in your face. and the chance of the bar climbing towards you is greater if the top of the bar hits a limb.

Group Moderator

NJ

04-21-13, 08:54 AM   #5  
Apparently it was designed to reduce kickbacks. That's a good reason to replace it.

I was reading on a couple of pro sites to see what they had to say about the tip. The general concensus was to learn to use the saw safely without the benefit of the safe-t-tip.

I've been using chain saws for years and never had an issue. You have to be 100% aware of what you are doing. None of my saws have the tip.

I can't make any recommendations for you.
It's your saw, your safety, your life.... you have to make the decision.

( awful lot of fast typers here )

VA

04-23-13, 11:06 AM   #6  
Thanks for your replies. The references to "your knowledge and skill level" have me eating a little crow... because my knowledge was not sufficient enough, I didn't know why it was there, and there ARE good reasons to have it and I didn't know what they are.

I'll be in mouth-shut-ears-open mode on future chainsaw questions... and in the mean time I'll re-install the tip.

CANADA

04-23-13, 11:43 AM   #7  
Thanks for your replies. The references to "your knowledge and skill level" have me eating a little crow... because my knowledge was not sufficient enough, I didn't know why it was there, and there ARE good reasons to have it and I didn't know what they are.

I'll be in mouth-shut-ears-open mode on future chainsaw questions... and in the mean time I'll re-install the tip.
I think this is a very good idea. I know of a few horror stories of chains braking or something going wrong and coming off. The guys in these stories I would consider pros as they have been cutting longer then I have been alive.

OH

04-25-13, 10:22 AM   #8  
There is a sprocket at the end of bar which is held in place by the same screw and nut that fasten the "Safety T Tip" on my 14" Homelite. Might check to see if you need one of those as well.
Dan

Search this Thread