Did I use wrong spark plug? 2 Questions

Old 04-22-13, 08:44 PM
Did I use wrong spark plug? 2 Questions

I have a Honda HR215 lawn mower. It was handed down to me and has never run outstanding. At the beginning of this spring I put in a new spark plug. It is a NGK BPR6ES.

It ran about the same the first time or two and now won't start. The spark plug is gapped correctly but looking at the owners manual it calls for a NGK BPR5ES. Would the wrong spark plug be the cause of this?

Ever since I have had the mower I have had to spray some starting fluid in the air intake to make it start. I always have to run the throttle very high close to the choke to keep it from cutting out. What is wrong with my mower?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-13, 09:38 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

The BPR5ES is a slightly hotter plug than the BPR6ES. The BPR6 may have fouled a little bit but wouldn't have hurt the engine.

It sounds to me like your carburetor has the ethanol blues. The ethanol clogs small ports and jets in the carb if allowed to dry out. This occurs mainly when gasoline is left in the carb over the winter.

Your carb may also be adjusted too lean. I'm not familiar with Honda carbs so let the pro's in this department check in.

Old 04-23-13, 08:09 AM
Apparently I'm chaising PJmax around the forum.
As PJmax had stated, it sounds like a carb and/or fuel supply issue to me. The wrong plug may have fouled, but that shouldn't be an issue for the mower, just another trip to the hardware store or reuse your old plug if you still have it.

Going forward, I would say you're looking at a carb clean/rebuild and possibly a new fuel line. I'd check the fuel line first to make sure it's not plugged or damaged (doesn't cost anything to check).
It could also be as simple as the gasket is shot between the carb and the intake. You'd fix this when removing the carb to clean, rebuild or replace.

Old 04-24-13, 07:57 AM
Talking

Thanks for the advice. I went and purchased some carb cleaner at Napa. After watching many YouTube video's on how to do it, I took off the Carburetor and cleaned it up. I put it back together and it started after a few pulls.

Now it starts on the first pull without having to use starting fluid!

I will go get a new spark plug to make sure I have the recommended one in there but it must have been the years of spraying starting fluid in the air intake that gummed it up.

Old 04-24-13, 08:45 AM
Glad to hear it's running for you.
Thank you for the update.