Cub Cadet riding mower - electrical problem???

Old 04-30-13, 10:16 AM
Cub Cadet riding mower - electrical problem???

Sorry guys but I do not have much in the way of specifics about my mower - just discovered this site and thought I would give it a try. I can get specifics if I need them later. I just had my riding mower serviced (+/- 10 year old Cadet model 15 or 1600 series???) they worked on the carb and put in a new battery. Took it home and it ran like new - for a while. About 2/3 of the way thru mowing my yard (1.5 acres) the PTO quit working? I shut down the mower and got off to inspect stuff. I am not very mechanically inclined. Looked at battery connections and all electrical plugs, etc. Found nothing loose, burned, broken, etc. Got back on to drive it to the barn and battery was dead. Charged battery up, unit started and mowed like new again. Went ahead and recharged the battery knowing I was going to mow again in 5 days. Same drill. Part way thru mowing PTO quits and battery dead. Does this thing have an alternator? I sure could not find one but that is probably my ineptitude at fixing stuff. Any suggestions as to what the problem is and what to look for.

Any and all suggestions are more than appreciated.

Bradhlgv

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-13, 11:38 AM
I can't help you but I do know that there is at least one forum on the web devoted to Cub Cadet tractors. Might want to try a Google search for Cub Cadet Forum.

Old 04-30-13, 11:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I believe that the charging system is built into the engine. If you have access to a volt meter, charge the battery and see what it reads. Should be about 12.5 volts. Then start the mower and with the engine reved up, check the voltage again. It should be over 13 volts. If not, the charging system has a problem.

If your cub has headlights, make sure that they are off. A fully charged battery should not die as fast as you indicate, That leads me to wonder if your new battery is good. Many are not.

Old 04-30-13, 08:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Do the test goldstar mentioned and post results, along with what engine you have so that we can tell what charging system you have. It should be fairly easy to determine where the problem is.

Old 05-15-13, 06:28 PM
Ok guys, sorry that I have not gotten back on and given you an update. I have been out of town for a couple of weeks+. The mower is a Cub Cadet LT1018 w/ Hydrostatic drive. Checked charged battery and it read 12.84 volts, fired up the mower and it read 12.33 and slowly started dropping. Went back out of town. My son came to visit his mom while I was away and wanted to get the yard mowed. He heard about the problem and checked it out for himself. He found a wire that went from the motor to ground(?) on the starter (not sure I understood what he said but have since located the wire). It had come loose from starter and was not allowing the battery to be charged by the mower. Hooked up on the upper left bolt of starter and is not visible when the plastic cover is bolted over the engine. Any way he fixed the wire and all is working great.

I can't express my appreciation enough to those of you that offered suggestions. I believe I would have found it with your help. Fortunately for me my son did all the dirty work. THANK YOU ALL! I will be back on the forum the next time I am forced to attempt some type of repair.

Old 05-15-13, 07:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the update, glad you got it!