Lawn mower wheels

Old 04-30-13, 01:28 PM
Lawn mower wheels

I have a 13 yr. old Toro recycler,6.5 hp ,front wheel drive that is running fine,except that the tires are worn enough that it slips in the grass while mowing.

I was thinking of screwing #8-#10 sheet metal screws in to the solid tires for better traction.

Toro dealer was not sure the later model year wheels were compatible with this machine.

Am i crazy to try this idea?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-13, 01:48 PM
Might work, but I'd probably want to pull a magnet behind, to reduce the chances of screws ending up in a part of the tire where I didn't want them.

No, actually I would keep looking. I put a new set of tires on my almost 20 year old Toro Proline a couple of years ago, and it was worth every minute that I spent finding them. On mine anyway, yes, the tread was worn down, but I believe that a larger part was the fact that the rubber gets harder over the years. Not sure if I can say this, so, if not appropriate, mod's please delete this part with my apologies, but I got mine from Jack's.

Old 04-30-13, 01:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'd try some gutter screws.
There short hex head screws.

Old 04-30-13, 02:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is it possible to take off one of the tires and compare it to a new one? I maintain my stepson's craftsman mower and I recently replaced his drive tires with the ones off of a broken down Toro. Sears no longer sells the part # his takes but what they do sell appears to be very similar..... but free worked better

Old 04-30-13, 03:41 PM
I have used coarse thread drywall screws and they worked just fine. Have a good one. Geo

Old 04-30-13, 04:24 PM
Thanks everyone for your inputs. All good suggestions.

I'll do some more checking around.

Many years ago i screwed sheet metal screws into solid rubber tires on a snow thrower. Worked great then,which prompted me to check with you folks.

Old 04-30-13, 08:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't see why not.