Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn mower wheels

MA

04-30-13, 01:28 PM   #1  
Lawn mower wheels

I have a 13 yr. old Toro recycler,6.5 hp ,front wheel drive that is running fine,except that the tires are worn enough that it slips in the grass while mowing.

I was thinking of screwing #8-#10 sheet metal screws in to the solid tires for better traction.

Toro dealer was not sure the later model year wheels were compatible with this machine.

Am i crazy to try this idea?

Sponsored Links

MI

04-30-13, 01:48 PM   #2  
Might work, but I'd probably want to pull a magnet behind, to reduce the chances of screws ending up in a part of the tire where I didn't want them.

No, actually I would keep looking. I put a new set of tires on my almost 20 year old Toro Proline a couple of years ago, and it was worth every minute that I spent finding them. On mine anyway, yes, the tread was worn down, but I believe that a larger part was the fact that the rubber gets harder over the years. Not sure if I can say this, so, if not appropriate, mod's please delete this part with my apologies, but I got mine from Jack's.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

04-30-13, 01:57 PM   #3  
I'd try some gutter screws.
There short hex head screws.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

04-30-13, 02:03 PM   #4  
Is it possible to take off one of the tires and compare it to a new one? I maintain my stepson's craftsman mower and I recently replaced his drive tires with the ones off of a broken down Toro. Sears no longer sells the part # his takes but what they do sell appears to be very similar..... but free worked better

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

MO

04-30-13, 03:41 PM   #5  
I have used coarse thread drywall screws and they worked just fine. Have a good one. Geo

MA

04-30-13, 04:24 PM   #6  
Thanks everyone for your inputs. All good suggestions.

I'll do some more checking around.

Many years ago i screwed sheet metal screws into solid rubber tires on a snow thrower. Worked great then,which prompted me to check with you folks.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-30-13, 08:39 PM   #7  
I don't see why not.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread