Toro Recycler Transmission Replaced and Not Working

Old 05-05-13, 06:23 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toro Recycler Transmission Replaced and Not Working

I replaced the transmission on a 2007 Recycler along with a new belt.

I can pull the lawn-mower in reverse and hear the transmission turning.
I can push it forward and do not hear the transmission turning.
When I push the handle, the mower does not self-propel.

Each wheel gear is marked with an L on one side and an R on the other. I've tried different orientations without success. The the wheel gears are currently positioned on the axle where each one has the L on the left side and the R on the right side as you stand behind the mower.

The axle keys are placed in the axle groove with the curved side into the groove and the small spring in place.

I can observe the transmission creating tension on the belt when the slide handle is depressed.

The mower cuts grass fine.....just no self propel.

At one point after switching gears around, I had the mower go in reverse when I pressed the slide handle. That was scary but it was the only time I was able to get the transmission to move the mower.

I am out of ideas.

Old 05-05-13, 10:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
If the transmission was able to propel the mower backwards, it is turning the wrong way. Are you 100% sure you got the correct transmission?

Old 05-05-13, 12:28 PM
C
I ordered it from a parts company in Chicago which indicated that the transmission is compatible with Toro Recyclers Model 20073...which mine is. But there is no part number on the actual transmission so I'm not sure that I can say that it is.

It looks exactly the same as my previous transmission and is (by appearances) the same Made-in-Mexico P.O.S that I replaced.

I've contacted the supplier for confirmation. I am planning on taking it to the dealer this week unless someone on this forum can find another solution.

Old 05-05-13, 06:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
The only way the axles on the transmission could possibly turn the wheels backwards is if it is turning backwards inside the tranny (assuming you don't have the belt twisted like a figure eight) or installed backwards. Sounds like the wrong tranny.

Old 05-05-13, 06:29 PM
C
The parts seller responded to my information request and indicated that I needed part number 106-3956. I checked and it looks like I have 106-3955. The part number sticker was a little damaged/smudged during installation but it appears I have a wrong part.

I did a quick check and found that there is a 106-3955 transmission and it is for some Toro FRONT wheel drive mowers. I think that explains the problem. It looks like I spent an entire afternoon trying to get the the thing working with the wrong part and will now have to completely re-do the job with the correct part.

Old 05-06-13, 03:13 AM
J
The front wheel drive and rear wheel drive toro recyclers use the same transmission however the ring gear inside the transmission is reversed.

Old 05-06-13, 05:43 AM
C
I know that now. I wish I had more closely looked at the part number but the trans looks identical and the part number was almost identical....except for that last digit. But what an important digit it is!

Aside from all the extra work the parts mistake has caused (and will cause), I do feel lucky that I wasn't hurt. When the mower started in reverse, it drove the slide handle into my hands which caused it to accelerate in reverse. Since I was expecting it to go forward, the garage was at my back and I had nowhere to "run". When you're caught by surprise like that, something simple like letting go of the clutch is momentarily delayed. Everything happened in 2-3 seconds so fortunately I didn't delay too much.

Old 05-06-13, 08:57 AM
J
That rear wheel drive transmisslon is such a pain to remove and install.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: