Craftsman riding mower steering problems

Old 05-08-13, 03:27 PM
Craftsman riding mower steering problems

Hello I have a craftsman riding mower model #917271653. I have issues with a lot of play in the steering. Also i can turn the wheel a lot more to the left then to the right to the point where the tire will rub on the frame. Thanks for the help....

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-13, 06:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You likely have two problems. The issue with it turning more one way than the other is generally caused by the tie rod being bent (funny that this would come up now as it has been the topic of some discussion in another thread). Look at it under the mower frame and you'll probably see that it is bent upwards. There are other reasons that could cause your problem, but this is the most common in my experience. The play could be partly because of this as well. Also, the steering wheels on these are often loose, allowing them to rotate a bit on the shaft before actually turning the steering mechanism. Yours also has an extension shaft. Sometimes the bolt that holds this on is not tight enough and causes play. To view this, remove the steering wheel and lift off the plastic shroud that covers the shaft where it goes through the dash. You'll see where the extension shaft bolts to the main shaft there.

Old 05-09-13, 02:53 PM
Cheese,
Thanks for the quick reply. I took a quick look at the tie rod, but its hard to tell if its bent until I take it off. I took a few pics today...You can see how the tire is worn a lot more on one side. Also the tie rod rubs a little on frame when turning...

Attached Images    
Old 05-09-13, 10:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Those pictures make it look like the entire front axle is bent or coming apart, maybe tilted backwards? Check the welds at the ends of the axle and see if they are split.

Old 05-22-13, 06:58 AM
Cheese,

I do have alot of play in the sleeve at the end of the axle where the wheel attaches to it. The ends of the axle do angle slightly backwards, not sure if thats how they are supposed to be. No cracks appear on the axle.

Old 05-22-13, 09:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's hard to tell for sure without looking at it better, but I'd say you need another front axle. It's easy to change and not very expensive.

Old 05-22-13, 11:41 AM
Is it possible to buy the complete axle with bearings included?

Old 05-22-13, 11:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It has plastic bushings in it and I believe they come in it if I recall correctly.