Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Old gasoline...

CAL

05-15-13, 01:57 PM   #1  
Old gasoline...

Quick question...

last year I bought a new chainsaw and filled a gallon container with gasoline and oil mixture for it. I have about 1/3 gallon remaining and I'm guessing by now that I should probably dispose of it and buy some fresh stuff, and I'm just wondering about the simplest method...

Can I add the old oil/gas mixture to a much larger quantity of fresh gasoline and use it in my 4-cycle tractor? Would this work or should I just take it to be recycled somewhere?

I'm really looking for a way to dispose of it without having to actually dispose of it, if you know what I mean...

Cheers,

Miz.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-15-13, 02:10 PM   #2  
If I didn't expect to be able to mix it up with more 2 cycle gas and use it in a timely manner, I wouldn't have any qualms about mixing it for use with regular gas. When I first bought my 4x4 ford truck I expected it to be hard on gas but after driving it all day I saw I still had a 1/4 tank so skipped going to the gas station..... and ran out on a country rd. I knocked on a farmers door hoping to be able to buy a gallon of gas, all he had was a little over 1/2 gallon of chainsaw gas. He drove me back to my truck, poured it in the tank and it fired right up and ran well for the 2 miles or so to the nearest gas station. He refused to take any money but I sure was grateful!

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

05-15-13, 02:44 PM   #3  
I do that all the time and never had any problum.

CAL

05-15-13, 06:10 PM   #4  
That's awesome, thanks guys

CANADA

05-16-13, 05:00 AM   #5  
2-cycle oil is designed to be burnt, so small amounts should be a non-issue.

Running on a mix like marksr mentioned in my car wouldn't be such a good idea. The computer systems would have a heart attack.
Bare in mind, I'm running a tightly wound 2.4L turbo with extras.

Search this Thread