2004 Dixon RAM 50 will not energize starter

Old 05-16-13, 12:46 PM
2004 Dixon RAM 50 will not energize starter

In a nutshell: Mower started fine, cut several minutes, met neighbor so I turned it off to talk. When I attempted to restart - no go. All I got was the click of the solenoid. Long story shortened up a bit, the battery isn't the culprit, and I have replaced both the starter and solenoid but still get nothing but the 'click' of the solenoid when attempting to start. I have tried shorting the posts on the solenoid, but get nothing - no starter engagement or signs of starter life (I do get plenty of sparks from the battery cable solenoid post to the side of the frame). I guess my question is could the cable from solenoid to starter be bad? It looks fine, I've cleaned the contact ends, etc. Also, I have examined the ground wires from engine to frame and all seems to be nice and tight, etc. In the past, I've had nasty gremlins with all the safety switches, etc. Could those be a player? Is there an engine kill switch wire issue? I'd take it in but I have 3 acres growing and the line at the local shop will put me out of commission for weeks! Any ideas?? Engine is a Briggs and Stratton, 725ELS 25 hp unit.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-13, 02:38 PM
Have you had the battery checked?? Also check fuse,,but you did say solenoid did click,,chech all your connections really well, all the way back to the battery.

Old 05-17-13, 06:19 AM
Have checked all connections and all seem to be tight and intact. As an update, I ran through (again) a check of the safety switches by manually depressing the buttons for the parking brake and steering handles while turning the key to start and I got the proper indications - meaning no solenoid 'click' when the safety switches were not where they should be. I decided to try 'wiggling' the blade engagement knob while simultaneously turning the key to start. Good thing I did! The starter energized and attempted to start! So, I reinstalled the cover, etc., hopped on and by wiggling the knob was able to start the mower and actually mow some hay...er...grass!

So, apparently the contacts are bad in the blade engagement module and I will replace that part.

Thought I would update my post in case someone else has similar issues...

Old 05-17-13, 02:31 PM
That is good to hear, glad ya got it running. Check the bushing on that handle it may be causing it not to hit that saftey switch properly. Good luck.