Craftsman Riding Mower 17 HP OHV Engine will turn, but won't start.

Old 05-18-13, 06:58 PM
Craftsman Riding Mower 17 HP OHV Engine will turn, but won't start.

I've had a lot of my issues solved on these forums through others' posts, but this mower is presenting a real challenge. Mower is a Craftsman LT 1000 with a 17 HP OHV Briggs and Stratton engine.

To start, the starter solenoid sparked and the mower would not start. I replaced the solenoid. After that, the engine had too much compression and would not turn over. I fixed the magneto space between the flywheel because they were touching and did valve adjustment. This solved the compression problem. While solving doing these things, I took off and cleaned the carb and air intake.

Now, the engine will turn over fine but won't start. The spark plug is new and has a spark. I've put gas directly into the engine though the spark plug and I hear a pop or two each time I do this.

Any solutions to this? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-13, 06:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Pulled the fly wheel yet to see if the woodriff key is still in the keyway and not sheared off.
Just looking at all the things you had to do to it makes me think the blade may have hit something.
If the timings off that could account for the high compression and not starting.

Old 05-19-13, 02:47 PM
I was on my way to pulling the flywheel and did it. The key and keyway are in great shape and not sheared.

Old 05-19-13, 06:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you sure the valves were set properly? Sounds like they might be too tight.