Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ariens Snow blower troubles.

WI

05-20-13, 12:57 PM   #1  
Ariens Snow blower troubles.

I just picked up a Ariens snow blower and the person i recieved it from told me the piston broke it was replaced and now it won't run because he could not get the timing right. If anybody could help I would be greatful. The model number is 932006 it has a 5hp engine. Thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links

MI

05-20-13, 01:03 PM   #2  
Welcome! On the blower housing, the sheet metal cover that houses the starter, you should typically find the make, model, serial number, and maybe type of the engine. Post that, and someone here can probably assist you, or you can probably go to the engine manufacturer's site and download a manual there.

Group Moderator

NC

05-20-13, 01:08 PM   #3  
Is there any more information you can provide? Any little bit would be helpful at this point.

Setting the timing is pretty easy for anyone that is competent to replace a piston. Right now it could be anything since it sounds like someone took the engine apart and did not know how to put it back together. Who knows what's in there??? I would consider taking it to someone who knows small engines and have them get it going. They may decide it's easier to disassemble it and see what you've got.

WI

05-20-13, 09:22 PM   #4  
The Make is Ariens 932 series Sno-thro the model number is 932006 the serial number is 070483 the engine is a 2.7 to 5h.p. 120 volt ac electric engine Tecumseh HSSK50 , the piston connecting rod was replaced. Thank you for your time.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

05-21-13, 05:34 AM   #5  
I believe you'll find there is no timing adjustment.
Everythings keyed and held in one place and it's a Solid State Ignition not points.
Have you checked to see if it's getting a nice blue spark on the plug?
Checked compression to see if when the rod snapped it did not poke a hole in the side of the crankcase.
Cleaned and rebuild the carb.

Hearing that the connecting rod had to be replaced would have been enough for me to have passed on buying it.
Most common reason rods snap on small engines is lack of oil.

WI

05-21-13, 12:31 PM   #6  
I picked it up off the side of the road. I almost had it running today, it puffed smoke a few times. I will replace the sparkplug and try it and if that does not work i will rebuild the carb. Thank you for your time.

Group Moderator

NC

05-21-13, 01:44 PM   #7  
If the engine was taken apart here are some things I would check (in no particular order but certainly start with the simple stuff first):

You can put a teaspoon of gas in the cylinder or in the throat of the carburetor and try to start it. If it sputters or runs for a second you've got a carburetor problem.

I have not looked up that engine but don't the crank and cam gears need to be correctly aligned to get the valve timing correct. There should be a mark on each gear that should be aligned with each other when re-assembling the case.

The ignition timing needs to have the flywheel located properly on the crank shaft. There should be a key in the slot where the crank & flywheel meet. If it is missing, sheered in half or has a subtle notched look it should be replaced with a new one.

MI

05-21-13, 02:03 PM   #8  
Yeah, the crank and cam was what first came to mind when I read timing, in which case the crankcase would need to be opened, and the gears checked to make sure the marks line up. My mind skipped past the key until just mentioned though, and yes, that may be what the guy was referring to, and can be easily overlooked. As Pilot Dane said, even if still in place and intact, a bent key can prevent it from running. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on it, simply because you don't know what you will find in regard to the rest of the unit once you get it running, and I can't imagine too many snow blowers that could easily be made operable getting tossed out, especially in states like Wisconsin, but as long as it's sputtering you should be able to figure out what you have without spending too much on it.

WI

05-22-13, 12:55 PM   #9  
I changed the spark plug today and with some effort it started twice only for a few seconds. I have yet to check the key and see if the marks are lined up and rebuild the carb. To get it to turn over i had a full choke the throttle was on full. Thank you for your time.

Search this Thread