15.5 Kohler smoking & dies

Old 06-07-13, 06:43 PM
15.5 Kohler smoking & dies

I've got a 15.5 Kohler (CV15S) on a 42" Craftsman Rider (917.259556) that has been running fine. This evening I fired it up & didn't move 30 feet when all of a sudden it started belching white smoke, sputtered & died. I was able to get it to start several times, it would act like it was going to run right, the smoke would start to clear up & then more smoke, sputter & die. Has a good oil level showing on the dipstick. I bought the mower used about 3 years ago & it set up for most of the last year. I've probably put 5 hours on it in the last few weeks & its been running great. I haven't done a compression test or any other diagnostics yet. Any input is appreciated!!

TexasFire

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-13, 07:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check the oil again. I'm betting it's overfull and smell like gas. If so, the carb needle is leaking and needs repair.

Old 06-10-13, 07:30 PM
Cheese, you NAILED IT! Oil was full of gas.... I rebuilt the carb when I put the mower back in service but only replaced the needle, not the seat. Wasn't sure how to get the old seat out. I also picked up a gas shutoff valve from O'Rielly's so I won't have to worry about this happening again.
So what is the best method for flushing? Now that the oil had gasoline in the crankcase I suppose I need to really flush it good as any fuel left behind will just break down the new oil. I was running synthetic too... I haven't pulled the old filter yet, figured it had contaminated oil in it & should probably be flushed along with the engine. I thought I might buy a 5 quart jug of Walmart oil & fill it / drain it a few times....

Thanks!

TexasFire.

Old 06-10-13, 10:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Nah, just drain it and refill. The tiny bit of residual gas will probably evaporate out and go out the breather when the engine warms up and runs enough. The components of oil are made to withstand the heat, but the liquids in gas turn to vapor pretty quickly, especially when exposed to heat.

Old 06-11-13, 09:05 AM
Is that carb seat replaceable or should I just get another carb? My kit came with a couple of seats....

TexasFire

Old 06-11-13, 09:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Usually you can clean the seat with a q-tip with some polishing compound on it. Otherwise, the seat is replaceable.