Sabre Tractor - PTO wont stay engaged

Old 06-12-13, 05:22 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sabre Tractor - PTO wont stay engaged

It's a Sabre lawn tractor GX1438B128310. The PTO will not stay engaged. As soon as you throw the lever it pops back. This is a manual PTO. I could not find the exact parts breakdown however I did find one for a 1438GS which seems to be a European model. All the pulleys and idlers look fine as does the belt retainers. This does not used an engagement cable. It uses a rod that turns to move the idler. I tried tightening the tension spring on the idler arm and it helped some but not much. I am going to try a new belt tomorrow. Best I can tell it takes a 1/2 in X 94 in belt. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Old 06-12-13, 08:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Not looking at a diagram at this point, but going from memory, I believe this handle pushes or pulls the tensioner arm and it cams over to hold. If so, a belt that is too short may be able to keep it from camming over enough to lock in place.

Old 06-12-13, 08:48 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You need to find the exact belt that will fit your mower, yes it cost more money then an after market but it will work.

Old 06-13-13, 03:35 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cheese you were correct. There is a PTO lever arm that moves the idler. There is a part called a hook that goes around the PTO lever arm and allows it to cam over. This hook is mounted through the PTO lever and as the pto lever moves the hook rotates. The hook has a spring attached to it. Well, the hook kept pulling out of the pto lever arm and would not allow it to cam over. I went to our local hardware store and bought an e-clip to hold the hook in the pto lever arm and that did the trick. I would think that every Sabre lawn tractor with a manual PTO will have this problem. These tractors may be manufactured by John Deere but they are not a John Deere. Thanks everyone for your responses.

Old 06-13-13, 08:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Glad it was an easy fix!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: