Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

32cc snapper weed eater will shuts off...

KS

06-25-13, 07:07 PM   #1  
32cc snapper weed eater will shuts off...

My weed eater keeps shutting off. It's a 32cc trimmer made by snapper (VERY similar to poulan and craftsman as far as i know). It has a 2 cycle engine. On full choke it seems to run and pulling the throttle lever has no efffect on it, and it stays at a constant flow. As soon as I put it in half choke, it will either work fine for a few seconds and then slowly die down and shut off (if its cold), or it will immediately rev up and shut off (when the engine is warmer). ALSO, it seems that if i try to give it more throttle to try to keep it alive in half choke, it dies even faster. It wont last even for a few seconds in run mode so i believe it pointless to play with that since it cant get past half choke.

What I've done so far is replace the fuel lines because they're at least 10 years old and rotting.

I also attempted to clean out the carburetor with an air compressor. After shooting high pressure air bursts into the carb, i tested the fuel flow with the primer ---------- I believe the carb wasn't clogged because the more i pressed the primer, which works great, fuel came out of the carburetor, so i believe it to be working.

I triple checked, quadruple checked, and cross checked to make sure that my fuel lines are in the right places and they are... the brand new ones..... and i have no idea what to do any more.... i moved the fine screw on the carb while running to see if it would have an effect on the trimmer, but as far as i can tell no matter which way i turn it, it has no effect.

What im used to it doing is I turn it on in full choke, it sputters/runs for a few seconds, then turns off, telling me to go ahead and put in into half choke to get it running. In half choke i can use it for all the trimming i need, give it all the throttle and it works fine. if i need to, ill put it in RUN and it when i give it throttle it goes even faster with more power. That'show it has always worked for me.

Now i cant get it to work for more than a second or two in half choke, and it will sometimes run for what appears to be forever in full choke, which shouldn't happen.

If there is any blatant error i made and am unaware of or anyone has any suggestions, please let me know! i do my own lawn business and id like to not have to borrow my friends trimmer for much longer! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-25-13, 08:01 PM   #2  
Your carburetor needs cleaning. Shooting air through from the outside won't do it, in fact, it may hurt or even ruin it. There should be no fuel squirting out when you hit the primer. How do you have the lines connected, and how do you know it is right?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

KS

06-25-13, 08:24 PM   #3  
I was beginning to believe that i was wrong about the carburetor and i was planning on getting a new one. as far as my primer, when i pressed it, it has no issues returning to its original shape, so i am confident there is not kind of blockage or damage, and when i press it, fuel goes from the fuel tank to the carburetor, as i saw when i tested it the first time with the new lines. Question:if the carburetor is not supposed to have fuel leaking from it when primed fully, how is it supposed to work? im new to repairing my own equipment so any background and full explanations would really help me out. thanks!

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

06-25-13, 08:31 PM   #4  
The reason your seeing gas is the float in the carburetor is sticking causing fuel to not shut off.
If you used the search function you would see there's at least a hundred post on this one subject.
The main reason your hoses and carburetor are messing up is I'd bet your using ethanol gas.
Try and find someplace near by that sells non ethanol or at least use an additive that counteracts the effects of it.

AR

06-25-13, 09:23 PM   #5  
There is no float in this carburetor! Take the carburetor apart and if the metering diaphragm is hard, replace it. Ya see when it is hard it will hold open the needle allowing gas to flow through the carburetor and possibly flooding it. Also replace the fuel pump diaphragm. You will notice when you open this carb up you will also notice a very small screen, replace it as well if gas does not flow through it. Ethanol related fuels will cause a film on that screen and fuel WILL NOT GO THROUGH IT! Get a kit and clean carb and rebuild it. A kit can be purchased at you local small engine repair shop. Have Fun and Good luck!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-25-13, 11:16 PM   #6  
If the primer is pushing fuel through to the carb, the lines are not connected properly. The primer primes the carb full of gas but it does not squirt any gas into the carb throat. Blowing compressed air from the outside in can pop the rubber check valve in the carb and let gas leak out into the carb throat. Fortunately, having the lines connected wrong can also do this, so let's hope you get them connected right. The primer pushes gas into the tank and draws it from the carb. The fuel take supplies the carb. That's how the lines should be connected.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

KS

06-26-13, 07:58 AM   #7  
Hmmm... I suppose I was thinking about it all backwards.... anyways I will post pictures as i take apart my carb and again if you guys see anything wrong please point it out. I want to get back to business with my own trimmer asap so if there's a piece that i can replace easily then fantastic, otherwise, i'll just get a new carb. Ill post those pictures today.

Search this Thread