I need help with my riding mower

Old 06-28-13, 06:04 PM
I need help with my riding mower

Hello all,

I fired up my mower this afternoon and everything seemed to be fine. After 10 minutes the mower stalled to a creep. I figured it was my drive belt. I went and bought a new upper drive belt and replaced it. It did nothing to help. The mower will crawl and cut, but goes very very slow.

Mower is a Bolen riding mower. Both drive belts have been replaced with new. I have checked underneath, and nothing looks out of place. Any ideas? I am stumped.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-13, 06:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Need a Model # to even make a guess.
Does the motor still run fine?

Old 06-28-13, 06:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd say it's definitely a belt problem, but there are so many working and moving parts that could cause a problem that it's hard to just guess what might be wrong. It will take some looking, checking belt tensions, check the bearings in the variator, etc...

Old 06-28-13, 07:17 PM
I will get the model number first thing tomorrow for you guys (I am not at home right now). I do know its a 2009 Bolens.

I def. thought it was a belt issue, but after replacing drive belts I figured that would solve the issue. After replacing the drive belts I double checked the tension on the belts and springs, but everything looked A okay. Not sure what to think, but I will be giving it a once over in the morning but was hoping someone had this problem in the past.

Old 06-28-13, 08:47 PM
Isn't a Bolens made by MTD and don't they have two drive belts??? Not sure. A primary from engine to speed converter and secondary from rear end to Idler to speed converter??

Old 06-28-13, 09:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, he said he replaced the drive belts. I mentioned checking the variator which I guess is what you're referring to as a speed converter. Bad bearings in it is my best guess without having anything more to go on.

Old 06-29-13, 06:00 AM
Yep that's the name of that thing,,can never remember the name of it because I don't work with them a lot.