Pull start lawn mower engine hard to pull

Old 08-18-13, 03:11 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pull start lawn mower engine hard to pull

Hi,

I have a push lawn mower with a pull start engine, tried to use it after being stored for a month and it was hard to use the pull start. After reading other posts here, I tested with the spark plug removed and it turned over freely so I put the spark plug back in and it fired up right away, I ran it for maybe 15 minutes, there was some initial white smoke from it but nothing else.

After leaving it for a few minutes I tried to start it up again and had the same problem with the pull start being hard so it seems as though every time I want to start it I have to remove the plug and pull the starter a couple of times then put the plug back in and it starts again - I can live with this but I'd obviously prefer not to have to do this every time I want to use it.

Can anyone offer any assistance as to what I can check next? - I've check oil levels and replaced the spark plug.
Thanks

Old 08-18-13, 03:35 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
With the oil level good, start it and run over a full lawn mowing, then see if it still does the same thing.

Old 08-18-13, 05:29 PM
J
Hi,

I tried that, I used it for maybe 1/2 hr to 45 mins to do all the area's I'd normally do, shut it off, gave it a few mins and tried starting it up without any luck until I took out the spark plug, pulled the cord a few times and then put the spark plug back in - fired up on 2nd attempt then

Old 08-18-13, 06:25 PM
M
That type of thing can be a sheared flywheel key which can cause a kickback, but that usually happens when the blade has hit something and isn't anything that just happens with the mower sitting.

It sounds like the carburetor may be leaking fuel into the cylinder which makes it hard to pull. When you take out the plug and pull it over the piston clears the gas out and it starts.

This is something that can come out it sitting for a period. If it has a carb bowl on it, you might try putting Seafoam in it to clear out any varnish on the float valve/seat. That's usually where the carb leakage is.

IF you go that route, Put about 3 ounces of Seafoam in a half gallon of gas and run the mower on it to clean it up.

Old 08-18-13, 07:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I agree that the carburetor is leaking gas into the cylinder. The seafoam might work, but I recommend taking it apart and cleaning it. If there is trash in the carb, only opening it up and cleaning it out will remove it.

Old 08-18-13, 08:00 PM
J
Hi,

Thanks for both your suggestions, I'll try seafoam - Im guessing I can get this at an automotive shop and if that does not work I will see about opening it up and looking for something obvious.

Thanks

Old 08-18-13, 08:34 PM
M
Sea Foam is great on any type of varnish. For solid dirt or rust particles you just about have to take the carb apart.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: