Snapper SR1028 does nothing when I turn the key

Old 07-04-13, 04:09 AM
Snapper SR1028 does nothing when I turn the key

I inherited a Snapper SR1028 ride on lawn mower that has not been well maintained. When I turn the key NOTHING happens. I hear a faint click, near the engine I believe but nothing turns, nothing cranks, nothing fires, etc. I can completely renovate all aspects of a home but struggle to change the oil on my vehicle so I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-13, 05:49 AM
It's most likely a weak battery. Either replace or jump it off another.

The starting circuit on a mower is pretty basic except for the safety devices. the main one is the seat switch to prevent starting the engine when not in the seat.

The circuit would run "power from the battery to switch, then to the solenoid, which is a heavy relay for the higher amp current needed for the starter, then to the starter."

Usually in there somewhere is either a safety switch to either ground out the ignition or to interrupt the power from the switch to the solenoid. Either prevents starting without the operator present in the seat.

In your case the solenoid is clicking, which is low voltage to that component. So the first step is the battery. Then if still a no start, look at the other stuff.

Old 07-04-13, 06:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That "click" indicates to me either a weak battery or a locked up starter. However, it could be a solenoid clicking too.

Old 07-04-13, 06:43 AM
Thanks to both of you for your prompt responses. I forgot to add that I tried to jump it from my pickup truck but nothing more happened. The seat does not seem to raise and lower like most with a safety switch that I'm used to. Perhaps that is the cause. I will investigate further.

Thanks

Old 07-04-13, 07:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Normally with safety switches you don't get that click. If a safety switch is out, it usually doesn't do anything.
If your familiar with using jumper cables, you might try jumping from your truck battery to the hot post on the starter to see if the starter turns. Of course you need to connect the ground cable to the tractor frame or somewhere like that for a ground.

Search this Thread