Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Riding mower moves forward very slowly

PA

07-06-13, 03:45 PM   #1  
Riding mower moves forward very slowly

My 20 hp Troy Bilt Bronco 42" cut riding lawn mower [model # 13WX78KS011] creeps forward when I fully depress the "gas" pedal, however; I did not break a belt. This is how I created my problem.

I was cutting my lawn near a sharp drop off. While making a turn, I shut off the PTO, shifted into reverse, and was backing toward the edge of the drop off. I thought that I had shifted into forward - pushed the pedal; the bronco was still in reverse and it leaped backward toward the edge. I panicked and pushed the brake and the "gas" pedal. The bronco continued backward so I put more pressure on both pedals. When that failed, I prepared to jump off the moving mower by getting off the seat. Thankfully, the auto kill switch engaged and the tractor stopped in brush at the top of the hill.

I restarted the bronco and tried to finish cutting the lawn. Immediately, I noticed the bronco was moving forward very slowly. I shut down and examined the pedal and linkage, but did not see any obvious damage. Just a small stick was jammed underneath.

Since then, I have used the mower to "slowly" cut the lawn and seek help to fix my problem.

I do not notice any odd noise coming from the transmission or belts; however, the "gas" pedal does not have the same tension as it did before.

I would appreciate suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

AR

07-06-13, 08:26 PM   #2  
Sounds like that stick may have kicked a belt off the tensioners. Recheck belts carefully.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-06-13, 10:12 PM   #3  
Sounds to me like the belt probably burned a bit, trying to move the mower with the brake pushed hard.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

07-07-13, 04:26 AM   #4  
Yes, the more I learn about the machine it is obvious that I really messed up the belt. Now I need to find out how to get access to the drive belt and "take-up roller and spring.

CANADA

07-07-13, 05:22 AM   #5  
If you have the owners manual, there should be a section in there about this. I had to learn how to do something very similar last weekend.

You'll likely have to remove the deck to get access. My old mower is likely similar to yours, but there will be some differences so I'll refrain from going into any details. Prior to doing anything, be sure to disconnect the battery and the spark plug for safety.

PA

07-07-13, 11:32 AM   #6  
I called the parts store to be sure they have all the necessary belts, and got a parts schematic for my troy bilt bronco mower. Here is the link if you have a need for this document.

http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/s...&serialNumber=

I took a careful look at the existing belts. Removing the battery gave me a great view from above. From below on either side, I can see the "gas" and brake pedal connections. I did not see signs of excessive wear on any of the belts. When I release the parking brake and press the "gas" pedal, the drive belts feels tight.

Is it possible that the linkage for the pedals got "hyper-extended" or twisted so they are not "aligned" properly? Could something have come loose?

Like I said before, the pedals do not "feel" the same. Too much play in the "gas" pedal.

Still stumped. Perhaps I am doomed to cut the lawn in slow-motion for the remainder of the summer!

Forum Topic Moderator

LA

07-07-13, 02:58 PM   #7  
Now, this was my initial thought but since I haven't had any experience with this situation, I stayed out of it & watched the thread, but the way you described the amount of pressure you put on the peddle trying to get the mower stopped, I wondered if you didn't bend a linkage rod or get something out of alignment some way... but again, I have no experience with this scenario so its only an idea from me... not from experience.
Personally, I do not know of a linkage ever getting bent by applying too much pressure but, again, it was my initial thought. Linkage..

Good luck

PA

07-07-13, 03:28 PM   #8  
Like you, I have no experience from which to draw any information. I can tell you this. If those rods can get bent, I was putting all of my 6' frame and 210 pounds into the effort.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-07-13, 04:37 PM   #9  
The pedals should be able to travel all the way without bending anything. Look at both sides of the belt... the sides of the V part, not the flat parts. Can you see the cloth covering on both sides? When you're moving, does the pedal have a "bumping" feel to it that it didn't have before?

God bless!

PA

07-08-13, 04:13 PM   #10  
I used the mower to cut grass [slowly] for several hours. The pedal did not have any "bumping" feel. I can push the pedal forward to a point that it is nearly horizontal without any appreciable increase in ground speed. Before the incident that caused the problem, I could not push that pedal forward more than 6" before I had "full speed ahead".

Do drive belts stretch over time? I may be imagining things, but today the mower seemed to go slower the longer I used it.

I plan to replace the long drive belt to eliminate "belt failure" as the problem.

For anyone who owns a Troy Bilt, I found a 186-page repair manual on line. The PDF file is located at this URL:

Professional Shop Manual - 700 Series Riding Tractor

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-09-13, 12:27 AM   #11  
When you push the pedal all the way down, it should move the variator toward the back of the mower until the long belt is all the way down to the bottom of the groove in the variator pulley, and the short belt should be all the way out to the edge of the pulley. Check this operation and see if it is not moving far enough to move the belts to their proper position.

God bless!

Search this Thread
LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.doityourself.com/forum/outdoor-gasoline-electric-powered-equipment-small-engines/499497-riding-mower-moves-forward-very-slowly.html
Posted By For Type Date
Riding mower moves forward very slowly - Bartle Doo Article Archives This thread Refback 08-16-17 10:03 PM