Which pressure washer would you buy?

Old 07-14-13, 11:37 AM
Which pressure washer would you buy?

Going to purchase a pressure washer from either Lowes or Home Depot. Home use...deck, cars, driveway, siding, lawn furniture, etc. I want about 2500 psi. I wonder which brands to stay away from and which are most dependable.
And while I'm here, how do I store one in the winter (Michigan)? Is it safe to move it to the basement?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-13, 11:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pretty much any washer with the pump under the engine is going to be a low grade unit and I wouldn't recommend them. The most reliable and long lasting ones are the ones with honda engines and cat, comet, or AR pumps next to them, not under. It's fine to keep in the basement.

Old 07-14-13, 12:51 PM
What are the "next to" pumps called. Or is it just a matter of looking till you see one? Can they be had for $300-$400 range? I do not remember ever seeing one of these type. Are they common in stores?
Thanks.

Old 07-14-13, 04:30 PM
Group Moderator
Here is one with a side pump and in your price range: Powerhorse Gas Cold Water Pressure Washer 2.5 GPM, 3000 PSI, Model# 1577110 | Gas-Cold Water Pressure Washers| Northern Tool + Equipment I don't know who the motor is made by but it appears to be very highly rated. They also have a Northstar with a Honda motor for $100 more.

Old 07-14-13, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the help.

The engine is by Powerhorse. I will google around to learn more about it. Never heard of Powerhorse.

More info on motor...
Equipped with a Powerhorse OHV engine to provide smooth‐running power and fuel efficiency for dependable performance day in and day out. Plus, the Powerhorse OHV engine features low oil shutdown, a cast iron sleeve and a horizontal shaft design to provide up to five times longer life than vertical shaft engines.

That sounds pretty good, especially to low oil shut down. I'm a maintainence dropout.

No Northern Tool around Michigan. Be I'll look around now that I know what to look for. Maybe someone else sells Northern Tool around here.

Thanks.

Old 07-14-13, 05:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The engine is a chinese copy of a Honda. In that price range, what I would do is go to the pawnshops and browse craigslist and see if you can pick up one of the ones I mentioned. It will still be around when the chinese stuff is recycled into budweiser containers. Get one with a honda GX series engine and a comet, AR, or CAT pump and you'll never need another.

Old 07-14-13, 06:01 PM
Group Moderator
I thought for sure Northern would have stores in MI. Sorry for the wild goose chase.

Only reason I posted the Powerhouse on is because it had such high ratings. I have no experience with them and I also like to stay with name brands when it comes to internal combustion engines.
(Briggs, Honda, Tecumseh)

Old 07-14-13, 08:45 PM
Just wanted to add a tidbit of valuable information that I found... Pressure Washer Pump

Also, I have learned that there are axial pumps and triplex pumps. Is this related to what CHEESE said in his first post about the pump being mounted below or next to the engine? Is the side mounted pump a triplex or are the two terms unrelated. I am asking because while I have found lots of info about axial and triplex I have found nothing about bottom or side mount.

Old 07-14-13, 08:49 PM
Group Moderator
I have a Honda GSX engine with the Cat triplex pump. Awesome combo for the bucks !

Old 07-14-13, 09:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Triplex pump is the one you want for durability and longevity. I didn't get into that because when you go ask a sales person for a triplex pump on a horizontal shaft engine, they are going to give you the idiot stare.

If I just say stay away from the units that have the pump mounted under the engine, you will be clear of the worst of them.

Old 02-23-14, 05:56 PM
Looked at pressure washers in Menards tonight. They have a Snap-on and a Brute. Never seen a snap-on machine before. Thought they only did hand tools. As for the Brute, heard they have a Briggs engine but that is the only info I have.
Any opinions on these 2 name brands in the pressure washer field?

Old 02-28-14, 03:42 PM
I have decided that for the price I would get either a Brute or a Snap-on from Menards. $130 off regular price. Both are axial pumps. Yes I know that I will be discouraged from buying axial but the side mouted pump is out of my range. My question is, does anyone have knowledge of the quality or dependability of either Brute or Snap-on? I think the Snap-on is built specially for Menards so I wounder if it has the same quality reputation as their tools?
2700 PSI 7HP Gas Pressure Washer at Menards
2200 PSI Brute Gas Pressure Washer at Menards

Old 02-28-14, 04:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The snap on one is just a name. It's a chinese unit paying royalty for the name. The brute is bottom of the barrel too. Personally, I'd rather take that money and spend it at a pawn shop or craigslist for a real pressure washer. I won't recommend either of your choices over the other.

Old 04-05-14, 04:43 PM
Still looking.
I was looking at a Brute today. Confusing situation. Axial pump is the one on the bottom. I was told to only buy one with the pump on the side. Well, this brute Brute 3100 PSI Gas Pressure Washer with Electric Start at Menards has the pump on the side...and it is called a axial pump! They must have seen that everyone is recommending the side pump and so they put an axial pump on the side. Anyway, I really like this washer because it is so easy to move and has an electric start. The 40 ft hose doesn't hurt either. Don't want to spend this much but what the heck. So, anyone have one of these? Whatcha think?

Old 04-05-14, 09:33 PM
This Brute pressure washer is a confusing situation. I was led to believe that Brute is not a good product. On looking at the manual for this washer I see that it is manufactured by the Briggs And Stratton Co. It seems as though this is NOT manucatured by Brute and including a Briggs engine but rather, it is completely manufactured by Briggs and liscensed to Brute. I have not found out yet what company makes the pump. I do not see the madel number (020577) listed on the Brute site or on any Brute parts supply sites. But admittedly, I also did not find the mosel number under Briggs parts dealers. I also found from the manual that the washer meets Pressure Washer Manufacturers Association standards Pressure Washer Manufacturers' Association Briggs is a member of the PWMA. You can read all about their testing proceedures on the site.

Sooooo, does this pressure washer sound a little better now? Am I correct that Briggs And Stratton is the sole manufacturer of this washer? Come on, I'm trying to learn here and I would appreciate your input.

Old 04-06-14, 01:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
An axial pump is an axial pump no matter how it is mounted. They are making more of them mounted on the side these days.

$10 less, triplex pump, honda GX engine (best in the industry), and brand new at your home depot

Simpson PowerShot 3200-PSI 2.8-GPM Honda GX200 Gas Pressure Washer-PS3228 at The Home Depot