Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Old Cylinder Head Gasket

FL

07-15-13, 04:44 PM   #1  
Old Cylinder Head Gasket

I started a thread in the past and had such great help help from so many of you, and i'm very thankful to you. I have been having such a hellish time trying to get my PW back into service. I got everything I need, with the exception of the cylinder head gasket. In fact, I just picked up the one today that I had ordered last week and they certainly don't match. The one on the left is the original metal gasket, and the one on the right is the new one(part# as per the cust serv rep from generac). I am sick and tired of going through all of this. My question is: since the cyl head gasket is metal and is still in tact, can it be reused on the new cyl head(of course providing I clean it up)? If so, what would I clean it up with? Many thanks to all.

Don

Attached Images

Sponsored Links

MD

07-15-13, 04:49 PM   #2  
If you can not find a new one than I would just clean up the old one and use it again. I think there is some sealer you can spray on the gasket and or head that may help. Think the sealer spray is a copper stuff made for head gaskets.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-15-13, 07:09 PM   #3  
They gave you a valve cover gasket. Someone doesn't know how to look up or order parts at your retail supplier. I won't say I've never re-used a head gasket. If it looks good and you gotta have it now, try it out and see.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

07-15-13, 07:19 PM   #4  
One thing I would take the time to do is tape a piece of emery cloth to a piece of plate glass and hone the head to make sure it is perfectly flat.

Search this Thread