Craftsman Briggs & Strat riding lawn tractor cranks no start help please.

Old 07-20-13, 08:37 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Craftsman Briggs & Strat riding lawn tractor cranks no start help please.

MOD # 917270750, 18hp I had backed the little tractor out of the building I store it in. It didn't sound normal, like it was about to choke out. So I turned it off checked oil, LOL i know. The oil was good. Tried starting it now it only cranks and won't start, changed spark plugs, cleaned air filter, checked fuel filter it is 1/2 full of fuel. I don't know what else I need to check or where to look for things on small engines. I hear people talk about Magneto, Solenoid, Coil, just not sure where to look for these. I don't have anyway to get it to a repair place now no trailer or pickup available right now. I am somewhat mechanical, and better with guidance.Thank you

Old 07-21-13, 01:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Add a dribble of gas in the carburetor throat and see if it starts and runs for a second or two.

Old 07-21-13, 02:59 AM
J
I have had a few craftsman tractors with B&S engines come in with similar symtoms. The choke on each one was sticking in the closed position. I know cheese has detailed instructions on how to fix it, however, I put a spring from one of the manifold bolts to the choke lever to solve the problem.

Old 07-21-13, 11:25 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
I have now changed the fuel filter, got some of that "Start Your Engine", put it in the tank, cleaned all around the outside of carburetor the choke is working back and forth really well, I can see gas in the carburetor, I checked with a spark tester and I have fire to there. And the thing still only cranks. ugh

Old 07-22-13, 06:31 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Similar problem with my Craftsman.

There's a relay near the gas tank. Replaced it and cruised for years after...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: