Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Toro 521 Snowblower Dies when Engaging Auger

MA

07-30-13, 04:30 PM   #1  
Toro 521 Snowblower Dies when Engaging Auger

Hi All,

I have a Toro 521 snow blower , model 38052 sn 6000313, that the engine cuts out on when I engage the auger. I cannot manually turn the auger blades at all, I can manually turn the impeller about a half turn each way, but it eventually stops and I can't turn it a full revolution. All the while the auger is not turning at all. I do notice some play in the auger belt, but I'm wondering if there is something seized in the gear box that is making the engine stop. With the auger clutch engaged, it does appear to be enough tension on the pulleys to turn the wheels, but with the engine running, it cuts off as soon as the auger clutch is engaged.

Any ideas on what may be wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

07-30-13, 11:25 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums.

I have the same machine. Probably thirty years old. Been a real champ.
I have replaced the auger gearbox once which sounds like what you'll be doing now.

CANADA

07-31-13, 05:16 AM   #3  
I'll have to second PJmax's thoughts.

Some of these old blowers had a serviceable gear box. Not sure if this is one of them.

Before getting into the gear box, make sure there is nothing jammed in the auger, impeller or anywhere else. I've seen a rock get stuck between the impeller and the housing).

DO NOT stick your hands into the impeller or auger until you have confirmed it's free of obstructions. I've seen these things retain a bit of springing force and move when freed.
If you find something, use a pry bar or similar.

MA

07-31-13, 04:02 PM   #4  
thanks

Thanks for the response guys. I could not find a rock or any debris blocking the impeller or auger. Is replacing the gear box a difficult task? Can it be easily taken apart to visually verify it is busted?

Thanks again,
Bob

Group Moderator

NJ

07-31-13, 05:51 PM   #5  
It's not terribly difficult but there are a few parts to take apart.

In the link below is an exploded view of the front end of your unit. The site is called ereplacement parts. You need to go in and enter the model number and the serial number. The model should be 38502 and the serial number will be on the ID tag.

Toro 38052 Parts List and Diagram - (0000001-0999999)(1990) : eReplacement Parts

MA

08-16-13, 12:23 PM   #6  
Maybe not the gearbox

Hi again,

I started to dis-assemble the blower to get to the gearbox. As I started to remove the 2 screws on each side of the auger housing, I tried again to turn the impeller and noticed that I was now able to turn the impeller all the way around and the auger was now turning. So now I do not think the gearbox is the issue.

However, after I tightened up the the screws on each side of the auger housing, I could no longer freely turn the impeller/auger, I am back to where I was before, I could only turn the impeller half a turn, and the auger would not turn at all.

Any ideas on what the problem may be?

Thanks again,
Bob

Search this Thread