Help!! Engined seized...?

Old 08-11-13, 09:39 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help!! Engined seized...?

I have a Craftsman EAGER1 MODEL # 944364100
I just started cutting my grass (a little high) and ater about 3-4 mins it started to stall so I pulled it back out of the uncut grass and lifted the front wheels (thinking I had just pushed it too far too fast in the high grass) it seemed to clear it self so I set it back down and went slower forward and it did the same thing but this time is stalled.

I pull it back onto the drive way to start it and couldn't pull the rope at all - it was locked. I immediately got a 2x4 and smacked the blade underneath to "free" it - after a few smacks itwill pull with the cord, but very hard to - and of course will not start.... did I seize the engine, or is it fixable..? I checked the oil level and there is just a small bit showing on the bottom of the dip stick (way below the add - me bad)

Any suggestions..?

Old 08-11-13, 10:29 AM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Fill it with oil, remove the spark plug and crank it over a bunch of times to get it lubed, then try to start it, then run it for a while then change the oil to drain out any metal shavings, refill and run it, the damage is already done you might as well run it as long as it will run. Have a good one. Geo

Old 08-11-13, 10:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Yep, sounds like it's shot. When one is seized from not having oil in it, there is usually too much worn out and ruined to repair. Especially with a walk behind.

Old 08-11-13, 11:22 AM
L
Thanks for the suggestions.. I put oil in it, and pulled it over a few times - very hard to pull over - very stiff.... I then pulled the plug and put just a few drops of oil in the cylinder directly - leaving the plug out, I pulled it over a ew more time - no difference.... about 5 mins later, I thought I would try putting fuel directly in the plug hole and give it a try... well, I put a little too much in, but put the plug in and gave it a good pull (which didn;t see as tough) and it coughed few times. (too much gas)... gave it a couple more pulls and it started right up! I let it run for a couple of mins and shut it off and restarted it about 3-4 times now, and looks like it is working!

Thanks for the suggestions - i was about to give up on it...

By the way, any issues if the plug is just hand tight (other than it loosening), would this create any issues..?

Thanks again guys!

Old 08-11-13, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Yes...with the plug hand tight, you will lose compression and power. May also allow deposits to make replacement later difficult. If it uses a plug with a compression washer to seal, they are basically one time use. Tapered seat is more forgiving. Best to just get a new plug and tighten with a wrench.

Oh....and you really should drain and refill the oil.

Old 08-11-13, 12:12 PM
L
what type of oil should I use... is it the end of the world using 10w30 or 5w30...? or do you have to use straight 30..?

Old 08-11-13, 03:08 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Since it has had issues I would use 20W50 it needs all the viscosity it can get. Have a good one. Geo

Old 08-11-13, 06:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
be aware that it will most likely not make it through the next mowing. It's possible that it will, but be ready for it to blow any moment. They usually do after being galled up on the inside and broken loose again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: