generator engine suddenly dies after running a few minutes

Old 08-02-13, 08:14 PM
generator engine suddenly dies after running a few minutes

Greetings friends! I have a Wen PowerPro 5500 genset approximately seven years old. It has a Ducar (apparently Chinese) OHV single-piston air-cooled engine. Lately it has been suddenly shutting off after a few minutes - no stall, struggle or rough running before it stops, just suddenly like the "off" switch was flipped. It already had new spark plug, cleaned air filter and an oil refill. I was afraid the low oil level shutoff switch was malfunctioning so I temporarily disconnected it, but the problem still occurred with the engine suddenly stopping after a few minutes. On a recent occasion of sudden engine death I used my spark tester - no spark and I could smell the gas like the carb was flooded. So I thought it must be an electrical problem. I replaced the magneto and carb. I did not want to replace the carb, just the fuel solenoid switch, but the parts website did not seem to offer just a fuel solenoid switch, and I had to buy the whole carburetor. So tonight after replacing those parts the unit started up a little quicker and sounded a little better running but much to my dismay it still stopped after running a few minutes. I should have immediately checked for spark to again confirm electrical rather than fuel problem, but too tired and forgot. I'm still wondering if there is an electrical problem causing the fuel solenoid switch to close, but I do not have a wiring diagram, and to be honest, I am not quite sure what the fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb bowl is for, what controls it or whether it is energized to close (shut fuel) or energized to open (allow fuel). There are two wires for the fuel solenoid switch. There is one wire to the oil low level shutoff sensor. There is one small wire from the magneto connecting to another wire (not sure what). Some of these wires seem to tie into the on/off switch. The fuel tank gravity feeds into the carb through about six inches of tube which I also replaced, so I am doubting vapor lock. I left the fuel cap open/askew to ensure no vacuum was forming in the fuel tank. Perhaps something is sensitive to engine heat and is shutting it down.

I guess I'm stumped now. Any ideas?

Thanks much for your help and even just reading my long rambling problem description.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-13, 08:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it's not sparking, unplug the kill wire from the coil and try again. If it continues to run with no problems, then you have a problem with the kill circuit or low oil sentry. Keep in mind that you may have to choke it or shut the fuel off to shut it down with the kill wire removed.

Old 08-02-13, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the quick reply cheese! I never knew that little wire from the coil was the "kill wire" but now that you mention it it seems obvious. It would have to be the circuit to kill the engine. I am excited about trying that idea but now I am home the and generator is several miles away at the cattle farm. I'll try it tomorrow and let ya'll know how it worked out!

good night