John Deere D100 deck belt

Old 08-05-13, 02:17 PM
John Deere D100 deck belt

I am replacing a deck belt on a John Deere D100. The belt is correct and 1/2 " X 103.75" long. The belt is way too long and falls off with the deck lower than the 2.5 setting. I have tightened the idler tensioner adjust to the max. The belt is routed correctly. The deck does not appear to be bent or cracked anywhere. I was going to try a smaller belt maybe 98" or 100". Has anyone else run into this problem. I physically measured the new belt and the old belt and they are the same. Maybe the owner never lowered the deck below the 3 setting.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-13, 10:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are all the belt guides in place on each pulley and adjusted properly? The belt should e quite loose when disengaged, but the guides should hold it on the pulleys.

Old 08-06-13, 03:19 AM
Cheese - thanks for the response. Yes all the belt guides are on and in position. The belt comes off the back of the driver side spindle pulley. There is so much slack it just slips down toward the deck.

Old 08-06-13, 05:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Go back again and check the belt routing. Real easy to do it wrong.
Smooth pulleys ride on the back of the belt, vee part of the pulley goes toward the inside of the belt.
Tried engaging the blade? If it still loose when engaged then it's on wrong most likely.

Old 08-06-13, 06:10 AM
Joecaption - thanks - this is a very simple belt routing. Engine to driver side flat idler, around idler to driver side spindle pulley then to passenger side spindle pulley, around that to passenger side idler arm pulley and back to engine.

Old 08-06-13, 11:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you leave the plastic covers off the mandrel pulleys?

Old 08-07-13, 10:23 AM
Cheese - thanks again - I knew the plastic covers also act as belt guides. Here is what I did. I tried a 100" belt - it was too tight. That made me go back to the 103 3/4 belt. I played with the front deck adjustment until the front of the deck was 1/4" lower than the back. That tightened up the belt enough that when I put the plastic covers back on the belt stayed on. I guess the front of the deck was too high. I never checked that as it looked ok.

Old 08-07-13, 05:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it! Thanks for the update!